What spares for a newbie

How To Get Started

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:26 pm
I am in the process of transitioning from open wheel to SRF, what basic spares would you recommend to carry?

Thanks
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:50 pm
Hi there,
First off, welcome to the class! You're in for a real treat.
Now for my answer, which I think may be a treat in its own right versus your open wheel days.

I've been doing this for a while and here is my comprehensive list of spares that I carry to every race:
- Fluids (1 qt oil and 1 qt tranny)

Yep, that's it.
I have a spare spark plug or wire or such thrown in a box, but those are just things that have found their way in there. If I ended up without that box I would have zero concerns about the weekend.
In actuality I worry more about spare tearoffs than I do any spare part on the car.

Our CSR's being at the track with all the necessary parts is absolutely something that sets this class apart from all others.
Sure, if there's a big wreck you could end up on the wrong side of a rod end shortage or some such, but that is rare and usually in those instances we figure out a way around it.

Others most certainly bring spares to the track but it's not a requirement (again, I've been doing this for a while and just don't carry any).
I'm sure others will chime in with a "it might be smart to have" list, but let me land this again - if you don't want to or can't carry spare parts, you can still go racing in this class and have a successful weekend.

Hope to see you at the track (with or without spares :) ) soon!
RacerX
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:55 pm
Oh I did forget two other things that, while not "spares", are smart to carry.
1) tape matching your paint colors :)
2) a bit of aluminum (I use old pieces off the car) that can be used to patch up fiberglass if needed.

Not that I've *ever* needed either of them <ahem>, it's just in case. You know.

RacerX

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:07 pm
as much as I hate to admit it, Denny is correct...you don't need much with the CSR support. I carry a fair amount of spares for one reason: I store all the spares in my trailer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:38 pm
We do a lot of track days w/o CSR support, we try to bring a couple uprights (one each), air filters, an air box, a couple MAFs, etc. Also spare LCA heims, and an alternator (Renault).
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Return to How To Get Started