Interested in SRF; If buying used Gen2, what to expect!

How To Get Started
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:24 pm
Howdy All,

I had my first weekend in SRF just last week at Roebling Road close to Savannah Georgia. I rented a car from Comprent from Athens. Kevin and his crew were great. Made my weekend go smoothly as I was excited / nervous about renting a car. I've been racing SM for over 10 years and wanted to try SRF. I'm glad I did. Had a great time.

I've got some decisions to make now and I'm trying to get as much information as possible. I understand the Gen2 -> Gen3 conversion and costs (11k + install). New kit is around 39K + build. Used Gen2's around 14-16k.

I'm wondering if I purchase a current Gen2, what are some of the things to be aware of? How easy is it for a chassis to get 'tweaked'? If I take it down to the bare chassis and start from there, are there any 'must have' changes/repairs/checks that should be done while I'm there?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard Anderson
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:56 am
Welcome! Great to have another convert!

Going back through the forums will give you a good indication of the things to look out for.

You have also done the right thing by hooking up with someone with experience.

It is also a good idea to team up with competitiors in your area to share experiences and resources.

Have fun and good luck!

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:24 pm
Welcome, Richard! You've made a great move.

The thing with taking an SRF down to bare chassis for a rebuild is much the same as any other racecar ground-up project -- check everything and replace if there's any doubt. While you do, make note of what's mandated spec and what isn't. For instance, fasteners and some suspension hardware (like rod ends) are open. So now's your chance to upgrade those. Also, if the car doesn't have a Butler seat, I highly recommend that you install one. Check with your CSR for details on that.

Dave's advice is right on. Get close to your CSR and SRFers who do their own mechanical work. And you can do searches on this site; take a look at the Mumm Brothers' site too.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:54 pm
Ok, thanks. Good point about checking what I can replace on the way.

Return to How To Get Started