Drivng Tips for SRF Noob

How To Get Started

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:46 am
Things I tell my HPDE guys when they take SRF out for a test drive

1) You got to drive it down the straights

2) No trail brakeing

3) Make sure all your up shifts are up a gear, roll you palm as you go through the gears.

They usually come off track understanding what all that meant and ready to trade in their HPDE cars for a SRF.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:04 pm
DON'T bump draft and be very careful when following someone

Interesting.... ;)
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Ok........yes many bump draft and following close is a way of life if you want to hang with most anyone. But for a noob coming from a miata it requires a major change in attitude and driving style.

Driving a miata is pretty much like driving a bumper car at the county fair in most races. You just can't get away with that in a SRF especially with the exposed rear tires. Those 5 mph bumpers can take a lot of abuse. A little fiberglass and .60 aluminum........... not so much. ;)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:49 am
I was having fun with your comment. It's all cool. It won't take a newbie much time to race close in our class if he or she raced close in any other class. They will find out how little one can see straight ahead when in a draft mode. Bump drafting, on the other hand, takes experience and trust of both drivers (and rubber tubing on our lower frame ;) )
And if Walsh ever gets back on the track with his SRF, I can enjoy being faster on our straightaways once again...
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Previous

Return to How To Get Started