Prescription goggles under a helmet?

How To Get Started

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:57 pm
Does anyone race with prescription lenses? I raced 10 years ago and wore traditional glasses inside my helmet. As I start gathering up my gear (and hopefully a license) in time for the 2013 season, I'm wondering if there's any better solution.

Does anyone wear goggles inside their helmet? If so, are there any special tricks to getting the helmet on over the goggles, or is that just an impossible proposition?

Thanks in advance guys, and hope to see a few of the SOWDiv folks on track in a couple of months.

Craig Chase
SRF Wannabe
Austin, TX
Craig Chase
Darien, CT
Chassis 680

Marking the back of the pack since 2013
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 am
Contact lenses? I wear them with sunglasses without problems. Occasionally I wear glasses when testing, and when we are crewing on Enduros. My original ones weren't so good, so I started getting the titanium-frame kind that are more flexible but go right back to their original shape.
Frame choice factors are the same a with sunglasses, if they are form-fitting enough, I can get my helmet on (carefully) while wearing them. If you have to put them on after, the issue is usually getting the earpieces over the ear, especially wearing a head sock. Which I finally figured out is why most motorsports sunglass frames have straight earpieces.
Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 am
I got a pair of child size glasses and asked the optometrist into correct to 20/15.

I put them on 1st, then the balaclava and helmet.
Dave Gills
#80 Red/Silver (chassis 504)
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 pm
I have always worn glasses while racing. Nike makes flexible athletic frames that have no problem fitting under a helmet. There may be others.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:04 pm
I have also always worn glasses while racing. I struggled for years with sliding traditional "loop" eye glass frames over my ears while wearing the helmet. A few years ago, I found some frames made by Adidas in Austria that go straight back behind the ear. They slide on easily while I am wearing my helmet. The frames are spring loaded with just enough tension to squeeze against the sides of my head and hold the eye glasses on my face.

Return to How To Get Started