Noob questions: SRFs for dummies

How To Get Started

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:40 am
Hi folks,

I've been lurking on this and a couple other boards for quite a while, longer than I'll admit... While paying for my kids' college education, and waiting for the day when I finally had money again. I think that by spring '13 I'll be able to buy a car of some sort, and I want to use this year to get as much exposure as I can to a couple of different classes.

I've been looking at SRFs for a couple of years, and plan to head over to Hallett in the next couple months to rent a car and get in some track time. I'm also looking at 944 Spec/PCA SP1 and Karts. Nothing else really interests me, at least, nothing affordable.

So the question: I want to make sure I can get value out the car, i.e. opportunities within a reasonable distance to compete. I would probably be able to attend 6-8 events per year, and I want to find a class that has competition in this region (southwest Missouri). Where all do you (can you) race your SRFs? I know about COMMA over at Hallett.

Can I do DE events in an SRF? Solo? Time trial? Any other series in addition to SCCA Club/Regional racing?

Also, and here is the most basic question of all, assuming that one is starting from scratch, with no documented track time, how do you go about getting a license? Can I (should I) do that with my own car, or do that this year in anticipation of having my own car next year?

Thanks in advance.

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Given your southwest Missouri location I assume the Joplin/Springfield area Hallett is your best bet but you already mentioned that. Do the Hallett school with their car and run a few COMMA events. By next year when you have a car you can run the MIDIV SCCA double school event such as in Topeka this year on May 5-6. With the Hallett credentials in your pocket the double school should be a slam dunk.

Not many people use an SRF for solo events but it can be done. Most tracks that have BMW or Porsche DE events will allow the SRF to come out and play. Heartland Park has a Wednesday afternoon event once a month through the summer starting April 11.

I hope you choose the SRF as your racing platform. The market to buy a car is very good now and you will probably be able to sell it later if you had to and not take a bath in the process. I am always available to you if you wish to chat about it. My contacts are available by clicking my advertisement in the banner above.
Last edited by specdoc on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 pm
Welcome,

There are several paths to getting a license. I used Bertil Roos Racing School (no affiliation) and after their 5 day course, and provided you do well, they can issue you a license. Great bunch of guys and a lot of fun. You do not have to do all five days in a row. Lots of track time. They have the program broken down into a two day/three day format and you can do each as your schedule allows. They have two events at Vir and the first one is fairly early in the season.

SRF is a great class, fun people, fun cars and intense competition.

Good Luck
Mark
Dinosaur Racing
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm
I looked at 944 Cup and chose SRF as a more competitive series with lower long-term costs. You can get a race-ready 944 for $7-8,000, and an SRF will cost twice that. But it will even out once you start running. An engine rebuild on a 944 is Porsche-money, and all the other stuff in there is pricey to fix or replace. And if you bend a 944 against a tire barrier or something else, you may be scrapping the whole investment. SRFs break less, are cheaper to fix, and are very rarely totalled. And when you're ready to move on, the car will return most or all of your up front investment.

As to venues, many auto clubs will let an SRF participate in HPDEs. You just need to check with the organizer, and realize that they also have to comply with the track's rules. I've done two DEs with my SRF, but once you get into racing, DEs seem like terrible waste of time/money!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 am
I am in the Kansas City area and I can tell you without question that Steve Fenske (area CSR) will be your best resource-he's very helpful! I rented from him for my school at MAM in 09' and bought a car just over a year ago. I have a lot to learn, but it's a blast to drive. I went to Heartland Park for their track days twice last year. It gave me a chance to put some time on my recent engine rebuild and also to get some seat time as a driver...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:57 pm
I got into SRF a few years ago. You are already on to a good strategy. Based on your location, do the Hallett school then rent a car for a few race weekends. They are great people and will treat you like a champion. COMMA is priced economically and you will get tons of track time over a race weekend. It is a great place to hone your racecraft.

A SRF is tons of fun to drive. The first COMMA race weekend is at the end of March.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:02 pm
For Time Trials, in the SCCA you just run in SRF (TT recognizes the GCR classes) or for NASA you will be in TTB. You can also race it with NASA in Performance Touring B (PTB).

For Solo the SRF is terribly classed against Formula Ford's in CM and the turning radius can make some courses a challenge. I did one Solo with some take off 22x8-13 slicks and finished 3rd overall, but got killed on PAX. Overall I don't think the time and effort (and wear & tear) are worth it for Solo use.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:16 pm
I agree with SRF63 that Steve Fenske is first class and extremely knowledgeable about our cars. I'm an MSR customer and very pleased with the service and preparation I receive.

In addition to using the COMMA series at Hallett as a way to become familiar with our cars, I suggest coming to the SCCA weekend at Hallett on April 14th & 15th as a spectator. I'm sure one of us can find space on our "crew" list for you and it would give you a feel for a typical Midwest Division race weekend.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:32 pm
As others have said. Call Steve. No one better in this game to help you get started. SEI Motorsports
His number is 785-862-2777

Return to How To Get Started