Spec Racer Radiator Source

Technical and Repair Discussions
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/ken.grammer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:02 pm
(ORIGINALLY POSTED BY VARIOUS SOURCES IN THE PREVIOUS FORUM. REPOSTED HERE BY SITE ADMIN)

Is there a site where you can get a SRF radiator for a bit less? Thanks.

larry morris

-----------------------
Rock Auto ... it's generic.
-----------------------
We buy ours from Four Seasons Radiator in Houston, TX (713-266-2656). Their part number is CU698 and if you ask for the "LBR Prep-Only" for a spec racer ford, they not only will know what you are talking about, but they will crimp and solder the overflow tube and pressure test the entire radiator. All this for the low price of $137.00 plus shipping ($125 for the radiator and $12 for the solder job).

Apparently the owner used to race a spec racer ford...

Joe Bob
-----------------------
The owner (Carl Harris) still races a Spec Racer Ford!
-----------------------
I thought it was a Modine 1R-697
1977 Subaru Brat

Cap is Napa 703-1406

180 degree T-Stat is a Stant 13828
-----------------------
698 is everyone's number. I may have something before or after for different vendors, but that is the universal no. for the Subaru Brat radiator.

Bill
-----------------------
Autozone can order it.... Comes with a nice warranty too! As long as you dont bring it back folded up FLAT!(Modine 698 off Brat)
-----------------------
Ken Grammer
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:13 pm
Just bought one,, found a few for less than $50... I picked up one from GenesisAutoParts.com,,$45 Plus Shipping & tax if required,, paid $20 here to close the overflow tube... Radiator looks great... Shipping to CA was less than $6.00. Thx Joel

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Does Carl Harris in Houston still sell the SFR radiators?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 pm
GSR00 wrote:Just bought one,, found a few for less than $50... I picked up one from GenesisAutoParts.com,,$45 Plus Shipping & tax if required,, paid $20 here to close the overflow tube... Radiator looks great... Shipping to CA was less than $6.00. Thx Joel

A CSR told me that not all Subaru Brat radiators offer the same cooling capacity. Apparently some of the aftermarket radiators have a lower fin-count or line-count and may create cooling issues. I wish I had more specifics but I do not. I have used a RockAuto Brat radiator ($100), and crimped/sealed the one outlet. No issues with cooling (when my screen is not clogged with grass).

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:20 am
llmorris75 wrote:Does Carl Harris in Houston still sell the SFR radiators?

I heard that Carl sold the radiator biz.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:13 am
I needed a new radiator and tried to track down the phone number for Four Seasons Radiator, where I purchased an SRF-ready replacement radiator in June, 2011. However, when you search Four Seasons Radiator on the web, it always takes you to a company called 1-800-Radiator. When you call the phone number (either the 800 number or the old number for Four Seasons) the phone system automatically routes you to the 1-800-Radiator store nearest you, based on the area code of the phone you're calling from. In my case, that was their store in Indianapolis. When I spoke with the customer service agent on the phone, she had no idea what an SRF was, had never heard of SCCA, and could provide no help other than to give me the dimensions of a radiator for part #CU698. She confirmed it was for a Suburu Brat, but said that it was a 1978 model and insisted that there was not a 1977 Suburu Brat. Subsequent searches on the web gave various results. Some said there was a 1977 Brat, others said 1978 was the first model. She furthermore said that they no longer carried Four Seasons radiators, which seemed odd because, by all appearances, they had bought the company.

It was all confusing to me and, in the end, I wasn't willing to take a risk that I was going to get the right radiator. So I purchased one from my nearest CSR, Alliance Autosport in Columbus, OH, for $180. It was shipped and arrived the next day and 'race-ready', with all the modifications needed for an SRF. To me, a much better approach than the 'buy and try' method.

If anyone has better experiences with getting EXACTLY what you need with 100% confidence and at a much cheaper price than $180, I'd like to hear your story.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:33 am
Jparris wrote:If anyone has better experiences with getting EXACTLY what you need with 100% confidence and at a much cheaper price than $180, I'd like to hear your story.

Two out of three. I've gotten two Brat radiators for less than half that price (each) and did the "modifications' myself. However, given that it's a rare part for an old car, and it is supplied online (Amazon) by the lowest rung of aftermarket suppliers, my confidence level is nowhere near 100%. Even the major online parts outlets (PartsGeek and RockAuto) do not seem to offer them.

For peace of mind, I completely understand the value of paying the CSR's price for a known-good part.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Accelracetek-285423508982
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:51 am
FYI SCCA-E has a new and improved radiator. The Subaru Brat radiator that most people buy for their SpecRacer comes from many sources and some radiators have less cooling capacity than others. SCCA-E developed a new radiator custom to the SpecRacer Ford with about 20% higher cooling capacity to address this issue. The new radiator also does not have all the extra transmission cooling lines and it does not have a radiator cap. The New SCCA SRF radiator new part number is 480465 and the cost is $205.00. The new radiator does require a different “Upper LH Baffle” part number 480464 and the cost is $45.00. If your car is running hot you should consider upgrading to the new one. To access the link go to: http://www.accelracetek.com/nose-pan/
Bruce
Attachments
Radiator 2.jpg
New Sheet Metal
Radiator 2.jpg (11.8 KiB) Viewed 29266 times
Radiator 1.jpg
The New Custom High Cool Radiator
Radiator 1.jpg (13.51 KiB) Viewed 29266 times

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions