Looking For Advice / Information

How To Get Started

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:19 am
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice as well as information in order to get me heading in the right direction. My on track experience consists of several years in karting and approximately 5 years road racing motorcycles and running track days. I'm looking at making a transition to automobile road racing, I'm getting older now and a significant fall roadracing motorcylces could be traumatic, its inevitable it will happen. Let's all face it we don't bounce back like we used to in our 20's and 30's.

I'm considering enrolling in the Skip Barber 3 day race school at Pittsburgh International. Their website says upon successfull completion I would be eligible for a regional license along with a $225.00 fee. However SCCA states that I would need to take the 3 day school as well as run 2 more events prior to being eligable for my license. I'm not sure how I can run 2 separate events as the SCCA is saying wthout first having my license? I was hoping to acquire my regional license by attending the 3 day school then running some arrive and drive / rental Spec Racer Ford programs in my local area then applying for my novice license. Is this an option for me or am I missing something entirely?

The tracks local to me that I would be interested in attending for arrive and drives / rentals would be Watkins Glen, Pittsburgh International, Nelson Ledges, and Mid Ohio. If anyone can set me straight regarding the licensing process in order to do what I want to do would be greatly appreciated. I'm also interested in finding out who my local CSR's would be as well, is there a listing somewhere I can access? I would also like to know if anyone out there is planning any events this upcoming season at the tracks I mentioned and wouldn't mind if I stopped in and looked over your set up while at the track this season? I would also be happy to help out anyone in the pits / shop or however I could be of assistance to anyone just to get some knowledge pertaining specificly to the SRF program.

Thank you in advance for any help and information that can be sent my way!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:44 am
I think the SCCA is referring to the SCCA 3-day competition licensing school, after which you get a novice permit. The Barber school + $225 gets you a full license.
A lot of people do both schools. Out here, Barber is more about driving fast, SCCA is more about racing, so it helps to go to Barber / Russel / ProDrive and get some driving experience first. Then go to the SCCA school and learn about the specifics about racing and how to find your way around an event. Also get to know some of the workers.
CSR locations are on the Enterprises web site, specifically: http://scca-e.com/about/csr-locations/
I suggest joining your local SCCA region, probably some variation of "Steel City" :) They will probably have a news letter with info about the local businesses and events.
I think that is enough to get you started, hopefully someone local to you will pipe up...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:27 am
TrackDreamer46 -
I did a Skippy 3 Day-er then the Advanced 2 day. SCCA will grant based on the 3 day course, I was looking for some more seat time before "jumping in the saddle." I'd highly recommend the Formula Car Skippy course. You'll be mid-chassis just like the SRF. I stayed away from the "TIN-TOP" Miatas.
When you do the Skippy course, I suggest you take the insurance. I did and didn't need it, but one classmate ate a couple grand on an off road adventure. Check the details when you sign up.
There are a bunch of great instructors with Skippy, and you might drop by the "Team Juicy" forum for up-to-date course details etc. (I think its still working... been a while.)
Not-associated, just a satisfied customer.

Arrive and drive is a great way to go too. Once "bitten", you'll be "buy-in."

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 pm
Thank you both for the informative replies.

Dave, I appreciate the link to the CSR listing. I will be in contact with a semi local CSR here very soon. It seems I have a couple CSR's to work with servicing my range of tracks that I was hoping to attend.

Phantomjock, thanks for the tip regarding the insurance. I'll be sure to look into it. Anything can happen while on the track. I definately don't need an uneccesary financial set back due to damage to a schools vehicle.

Thanks again for all the help, its greatly appreciated!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:17 pm
I am with Jim on the insurance. When I went to Russell, the first damage was on them. I didn't use it, but it makes it a lot more comfortable to know you have some margin for error.

In the SCCA school we tell people not to go out there unless they are prepared to leave w/o their car. :?
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:43 pm
dave wrote:I am with Jim on the insurance. When I went to Russell, the first damage was on them. I didn't use it, but it makes it a lot more comfortable to know you have some margin for error.

In the SCCA school we tell people not to go out there unless they are prepared to leave w/o their car. :?

This all sounds very familiar. At one point in time I was taking one of my licensed street bikes to the track for track days. I could never fully enjoy taking that bike to the track because it was always in my head that sending it down the track off into the weeds on its side would be the end of it. I ended up sticking to my track prepped bike for track days in which I had much less invested in.

. "In the SCCA school we tell people not to go out there unless they are prepared to leave w/o their car"

That's great advice!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:28 pm
dave wrote:In the SCCA school we tell people not to go out there unless they are prepared to leave w/o their car. :?

I "bought" my first SRF at turn 16 Sebring on a sprint race (Arrive and Drive). Coulda-woulda-wished it was insured. :o

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm
When I went to Russell at Sears there were a couple teenagers with dads who obviously had professional aspirations. One actually did run Indy Lites and was pretty successful in South America.
But there was one poor kid who obviously didn't get it. He had his free crash right away and his $1000 maximum one on the second morning. He had his third that afternoon. I didn't see it, but it was obvious it really shook up the instructors. Later I overheard the Russell sales guy tell dad that they would put half of the kids tuition to the repairs if he would withdraw the kid from school. That was the last we saw of them.
Dave Harriman
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:29 pm
I also wouldn't hesitate to call SCCA in Topeka if you have any questions. They are incredibly helpful and responsive. (Keeping in mind that this site is not affiliated with SCCA, and as such some responses might be by people who will be your future rivals!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:35 pm
Thank you to all for your replies, your information is very helpful.

I've spoken with Scott Reddich as well as Claudine at the SCCA. With their help I now have an understanding of the school and licensing process.

Another question I have is more specific to the SRF car itself. How well suited is the car for taller drivers? I'm 6'4 and consistently weigh 195 - 200 pounds. From what I've noticed is that it looks like the pedal assembly has a couple mounting positions, is this the case? I'm just wondering how I will fit in this car being slightly taller than average.

Thanks again for everyones Information and advice, it is greatly appreciated.
Next

Return to How To Get Started