Converting a SRF to a non spec track day car

How To Get Started

Facebook Page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/wd1000
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:38 am
Hope I don't get killed for asking this... I am looking at buying a sports racer for a track day car. SRF is a logical place to start but power-wise I would like more. Is there a way to get more HP in these things without chopping up the car? I want to be left with a car that, after I am finished with it, is still worth something as a race car, not just a non-spec track day car. So I think motorcycle engine conversions would involve chopping, etc. Has anyone here done something to make these cars faster? I am thinking 175HP or more would be a good place to be.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
562-1
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:46 pm
I would suggest that you just buy a Gen3 SRF & remove the rev limiter. It has 140 HP @ 6500 RPM, if you ran it to 8,000 RPM you would be darn close to the number you want. If you want to further speed the car up put some sticky tires on it.

However, I have been to a few track days, and a well driven Gen3 in its SPEC form will typically be one of the fastest cars on track.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:27 pm
I completely agree with Cliff. I instruct for PCA and since the Gen3 has fenders, they let me come out and play. The only car that has turned faster lap times than me is a race-prepped 911 Turbo... and I can *still* leave him far behind me in the twisty parts.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:23 pm
Guess I'm an outlaw and will pitch my my 2 cents into the pot.

I'm running a non-spec Renault - for a season or two, with a plan to move to a Honda FWD (B18-CR looks interesting) Shove it in the rear when the rebuilt Renault lags and Webers can't make a difference. The Honda gives lots of RPM, heaps of power and just enuf kickass to make up for the lack of close competition afforded in a Spec Class. Well known mods available - and available at the local parts store. There are aftermarket ECUs to help make that bit of a conversion easy - so it looks - haven't tried just yet - guys shoving the Honda engine in Minis!. A lot of aero options open up, and if you want wheel to wheel racing then keep it in SPU - and run what you brung. No nationals - regional only - Ok I get it. What the heck - cut off the side pods and make it a Formula S! Steve Fenske did a side pod mod for different reasons but it's an idea.

Even if you add lights you currently can't do SCCA Track Nights, but there are other options. In the Jersey area there are enduros that would welcome you too - "Devil in The Dark" and there is always AX and hillclimb options to fill your thrill-mojo. And with a bit of simple work - beat that Porsche Turbo too on Track Days!

Oh yeah, let's see - dashboard/data/muffler/shocks/springs/ride height/weight -- all up to you.

Just say I've crossed over. So, From the Darkside...
Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 am
srf99 wrote:I completely agree with Cliff. I instruct for PCA and since the Gen3 has fenders, they let me come out and play. The only car that has turned faster lap times than me is a race-prepped 911 Turbo... and I can *still* leave him far behind me in the twisty parts.

I instruct for a few track day organizations also, and even my Gen 2 rarely gets passed.

Take note that if you were to modify an SRF with too much power, you would start breaking and wearing out other parts of the car that are now under little mechanical stress. Think tires, wheel bearings, transmission gears, etc.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:40 pm
Steve Fenske converted a number of cars to Toyota power. IIRC with the 140hp 1ZZ engine & trans. I haven't heard of any reliability issues with those. I have also considered a B18 powered SRF as I am not overwhelmed by the performance gain vs cost of the Gen3 conversion. A motorcycle engine conversion would be interesting as the big weight savings would help de-stress the car from the higher power and speeds.

Another issue I don't think anyone has mentioned, is that going non spec means you lose a lot of the ability to get help & support from the CSRs and other SRF competitors.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:49 pm
Actually just saw one of these Toyota SR's for sale for $10K, on I think RacingJunk.

I would be having a look if it wasn't so far away in Colorado.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:41 pm
I saw that ad, too.
I worked on a couple of those cars, they are pretty cool.
Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:26 pm
My engine "guy" was discouraging the 1zz mod. Apparently some oil starving problems led to several DNFs in the CHUMPs "world" his team races in. I note that Moroso now makes a larger oil pan, more oil, and a better pump to help reduce that problem. The 1ZZ and 2ZZ look to be better options than some of the Honda mods I've been considering. Lower price point, and more HP per dollar.
Some of the Fenske mods went to the more "standard" SR 2 seat configuration. Quite frankly, I much prefer the SRF center seating, even though I drive right hand when overseas 6 months a year.

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Return to How To Get Started