Dash Panel Help Please

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:35 pm
I'm working on building a new kit. The build manuals reference a dash panel template but I can't find one anywhere and no instructions anywhere. Im a noob - dont even know which switches get covers, how many switches, etc. Is there a typical layout somewhere someone could send me? Or pictures? Need the basic info for the switches and led lights. Im using an mxl2 for the instrument panel. TIA for any help!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:07 pm
Here's what I have to work with. Hopefully pic will upload.Nope. Too big. Here is a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mk560g3gse2i8 ... 5.jpg?dl=0
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:44 pm
There is a template for the dash panel and you can have Enterprises send you that by mail or PDF (it should have been in the kit).

That said, how you layout the panel is pretty much up to you as long as the components, switch gear, etc., conform to the rule book. The dash panel template accounts for analog gauges, so you may want to leave those out if you're going with the MXL for that. (I have analog water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure gauges and a tach on my panel. My data display is steering wheel mounted for easy access in the seat. If my data fails, I can remove the display and still use all the analog stuff.)

You should use a cover for the Ignition Switch to make it easy to "slap" off in panic mode. You can use the other cover for the Rain Map switch to help prevent it from being bumped on.

Most cars have the Ignition switch to the left side, along with the Rain Light and Rain Map switch. The Rain Map and ECU lamps are usually located to the left. The Starter Button and Alternator Warning lamp are usually on the right.

One light that you really need to pay attention to is that Alternator Warning because it needs to be something you'll need to, well, pay attention to -- like, right now if the alternator belt flies off! That belt also drives the water pump. A lot of guys with GEN3 are going with big, fat, bright lights for that application. In addition, set the "Low Voltage" alarm on your AIM for 12.7 volts.

Whatever analog gauges you might use function off a common ground that you can anchor to a chassis tube in the right side pod.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the rest of your kit build!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 pm
Thanks to everyone that replied! Think I have everything I need now.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions