Wheel Bearings

Technical and Repair Discussions

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 am
Duhh - How do you know how much to take off the bearings to remove the slop? Thanks.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:45 am
Duhh, not sure what surfaces you are measuring and re-facing. please explain.
Mark
Dinosaur Racing
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:15 pm
The first time I put on a ball bearing it went together fine. The next one would not pull together - wobble no matter what I did. To solve it, we ground just a trace off the mating face of the inner race. That allowed it to snug up when we tightened it down. I don't know how much - didn't put a micrometer on it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done the same. Since I got my Niederriter tool, repacking is easier, and I haven't burned a bearing since.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:34 pm
adambrouillard wrote:For roller bearings search for SKF B31, they can usually be had for 30-50 each. I think the BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0513938 might be ball, but I'm not sure. The SNR - GB 12438 S01 is a ball bearing, but I have no idea where you would get it. I'll sell you one for 129 though:)

Using a bearing friction calculator, the tapered roller bearing in a maxed out SRF scenario 120mph 1.3g turn uses around 0.2 horsepower more than angular contact ball between all 4 bearings. In straight line running and at lower speeds the difference goes down.

I just got a set of Beck/Arnley. Oddly, three were made in Spain, and one was made in France. French bearing seemed a little better design and seemed to have better lube (although I replaced it all with known-good stuff), and it has a little rubber lip on each end. Both use tapered roller bearings, not ball bearings.

UPDATE: Of the three Beck/Arnley roller bearings I installed, one failed almost immediately. CSR noted that when a roller bearing fails, it creates a mess -- lots of damage to the spindle. It would be great if we could find ball bearings.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:10 am
Duhhh wrote:The first time I put on a ball bearing it went together fine. The next one would not pull together - wobble no matter what I did. To solve it, we ground just a trace off the mating face of the inner race. That allowed it to snug up when we tightened it down. I don't know how much - didn't put a micrometer on it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done the same. Since I got my Niederriter tool, repacking is easier, and I haven't burned a bearing since.

I had a bunch of wobble and did the sanding trick to tighten it up.
0.002 does a lot more than I thought it would, and that is only about 20 circles on 600 grit paper.
Dave Gills
#80 Red/Silver (chassis 504)
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 pm
Is the correct bearing the front for a Renault Alliance 83-87? I am looking at SKF B31 bearing? Thanks
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 am
GSR00 wrote:Is the correct bearing the front for a Renault Alliance 83-87? I am looking at SKF B31 bearing? Thanks

That's it. The best price I've seen is RockAuto.com.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 am
Thanks I will check their prices,,, found some for just under $40 in including shipping. Joel

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:07 pm
Hi,
i have purchased some SKF B31 roller bearings to install. Probably a stupid question but I am wondering if it matters which way the bearing is pressed into the upright? With ball bearings I would assume no, but not sure about these?? thanks.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:43 pm
It does not matter which way it is pressed in. It is the same. I did not have good luck with those SKF bearings. Maybe just me but had them explode. Also had trouble getting them back off hub. I recommend the bearing that Dana Webster sells Ferra I think they are called. Have been good. Good price too. I was paying top dollar for SNR and had to order them,never in stock. Now we run Ferra. Southeast Spec Racer Tony
PreviousNext

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions