Fuel Cell ...

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 am
Is there supposed to be a flapper valve at the fuel inlet to the cell? I am referring to the large (2.5" dia) filler inlet, not the return.

Jim
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 am
There is one on the entry elbow of the fuel cell. None on my actual fuel inlet where the cap attaches.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:05 pm
That's where I was thinking. Do they limit how quickly the cell can be filled? A car I am working on seems to take forever to fill. Almost like that flapper is super stiff.

Jim

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:22 pm
Could the cell's internal foam be blocking the valve or holding it closed?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:30 pm
The weight of the fuel in our black fill hose alone would push the rubber flapper open. Unless someone did a poor job of foam work in the cell (loose piece that moves around), that would be an unusual event.
I have had to take my overturn vent relief valve apart and clean it of any residue to alleviate sticking issues when drawing fuel from the cell when under race conditions, but that would not be your case if your cell isn't filling faster. Double check your fuel lines and make sure your vent line is at the highest port on the back of the cell.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:14 pm
Jim Nash wrote:That's where I was thinking. Do they limit how quickly the cell can be filled? A car I am working on seems to take forever to fill. Almost like that flapper is super stiff.

Jim

Closed/clogged vent tube seems like a much more likely culprit.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 pm
When I changed my fuel cell, I had these problems with it not taking fuel very quickly. When tore it open the second time, the flapper valve was pushed backwards and was acting like a check valve which i must have accidentally done in the replacement process. After I fixed that, I had a problem with the vent line not letting the air out of the fuel cell, and I must have had a kink in the vent line or something. After taking apart the SoB 3 times, it finally worked properly. These are typical on the job mechanical training problems for me. I would say that it's a vent tube issue if this problem just started and probably the portion outside the fuel cell that is easy to fix. If you recently changed the fuel cell or this problem has always existed since you've owned it, it's probably an issue inside the cell with vent line or flapper.
Joe Frederick
Texas Region
SRF#65 Chassis#294

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
11&245
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 pm
If it's not the flapper, the other thing to look at, especially if the 2.5" hose is old, is that sometimes the inner wall of the hose delaminates and flaps open as the fuel is poured in, slowing the fill. If it's a GEN III conversion, it probably has a new fill hose and that most likely will not be the problem. Good luck. Tell us what you find.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions