ENGINE FULL OF GAS!!

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm
Well I posted this same issue last summer, same cylinder - one day running, the next fuel pouring out of the headers and backfiring running on three cylinders, called Mike D and we went through a series of diagnostics like switching the C4 plug to C3 and see if it does the same thing, which it did. Enterprises fedEx'd a new ECU and problem solved. My fuel pump did not stay on if the master was off but once the ignition was - fuel poured out.

No problems since.

I did post this last year.

A bulletin would be wise at this point.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 am
Thanks for your post also Bruce. Now I feel even more concerned that this problem has been out there for that long. And for those who have not posted the same issue, you need to contact Enterprises for not only a bulletin, but what is the long term, fix. We supposedly had a final version installed and sealed on our ECU's, but with this serious issue out there, a fix is way past due.
Look at the robust Ford ECU we had in our Gen2's with minimal issues to my knowledge. If our ECU's are subject to vibration, heat or whatever aiding in this type of failure, then our supplier needs to address this. Fuel pouring into cylinders, sumps, oil breather, throttle body and God knows where else, someone is going to eventually get burned, hurt or possibly killed. Communication.... A sore subject once again.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 pm
Ok, lets assume this problem is not going to go away and that there is a very good chance it might happen more frequently with use.

My initial concern was cost to neutralize the problem. I am way past that at this point.

My next concern was limited to identifying the symptoms, when starting the engine, which most if not all have indicated is when they experienced the failure. Ok I am good to go there.

So now the question is, what happens if the failure ocurrs, when we are on the track under power? My guess is that should be addressed.

Pat
Last edited by goolsbey on Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 pm
649 views and only a handful of comments by drivers? Guess silence speaks to lack of concern.

Pat

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:19 am
My car came out of storage last week started right up. It needed a trans swap as second gear Sychro broke. So did the swap the last two evenings.

Try to start the car after it is back together, and it did just as everyone else said, fuel pump continues to run and floods the motor.

Getting a new ECU sent out Monday.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 pm
To add to this data set, my ECU also failed this weekend. My failure was, however, different than what is being described here. The problem actually started at the last race weekend when the engine started idling poorly. The RPMs would jump around and engine would stall very quickly at idle. I assumed it was an IAC issue because this is what the engine did two years ago when I did the conversion and before I set up the IAC. I reset the IAC, and I got through that race weekend. Starting this past weekend, the car ran three practice sessions perfectly including at idle. When I started the engine on the fourth session, however, the idle problem returned, and I could barely keep it running to get on track. As soon as I entered the track, the engine was erratically cutting out on me. After some troubleshooting, and finding nothing obvious, John Hagerman looked over my engine data and felt that the ECU was likely bad. He provided a loaner, and the engine ran perfectly for the remainder of the weekend. The ECU is being shipped back to Enterprises for inspection.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 pm
I have had the same problem 3 or 4 times. In my case the car either refuses to idle or idles at 4000rpm. Makes for tricky down shifting on the track. Each time I run the ECU through the IAC reset/cal procedure and it clears up. Maybe time to reach out to enterprises?

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 pm
I spoke with Mike Davies about this in more detail.

The ECU is built and then the material is poured into the ECU and solidifies. Somewhere during that process the wires change position. The power and the #4 injector wire get very close together. Somehow the two wires touch and the fuel pump and the #4 injector open.

When the ECU is tested at the factory all is fine but after running in a car the problem happens.

The manufacturer is aware of the problem and have addressed the issue.

Mike and Robey have been helpful in this situation. Another ECU is being provided by the manufacturer.
Mick Robinson

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 pm
I heard of this recently,and I’m being serious.

If you are in a jam at the track, applying some pressure from a pair of vice grips to a specific location on the ECU will separate the wires and the ECU will work correctly.

The location is one inch up from the bottom and one inch in from the left side.

If you need to finish a weekend and a CSR is not there, you might want to try this. However it is a quick fix and you will have to figure out how to keep the vice grip attached and secure the ECU while on track.

I have not tried this and it is a last resort to complete a weekend.
Mick Robinson
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:58 pm
Mick et al: By any chance are we going to see an Enterprises Technical Bulletin on this? Short term and long term fixes would be great to hear about...
I used to use vice grips regularly on my old Triumph in order to finish a weekend. Guess I better have them handy once again.... :roll:
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3