FrankenSpec - A Flaggers SRF Build

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 am
Greg-Cirillo wrote:Congrats. We always tell students that people who pass the racing license school are the ones who are safe, not necessarily the ones who are fast. As long as you knew the flags, observed the flags and were predictable on track, you're good to go. Speed will come.
south

Yep that's what I was told too. Also if I don't know the flags then everyone is in huuuge trouble. :lol:
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 am
Congrats on completing the school and your first race! You drove very well. Hope you can make the Firecracker in July.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 pm
Do you have a list of the parts you still need? I may have some to sell, give away, or provide as a "long term" loan. I've got a future project in mind but have some parts that I won't be needing for a few years.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:25 am
micarmotorsports wrote:Do you have a list of the parts you still need? I may have some to sell, give away, or provide as a "long term" loan. I've got a future project in mind but have some parts that I won't be needing for a few years.

Let me go through the parts in the binder this week and I can let you know.

I know for sure uprights and hubs, the axles and outer cv, steering rack, mirrors, body center.

I have a full set of the UCA but need the hardware that goes thru them too.
Chris B
Chicago Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am
i've got an extra set of mirrors, PM your ship to info and i'll send them and who knows what else.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 am
Slight update. Main thing has been acquiring remaining parts I need to do the build. I am going to bite the bullet and do the in tank fuel pump since I have been held up with plumbing the fuel cell. I really didn't want to spend the money but it just makes sense to do at this point.

Parts I need a various odds and ends such as final set of uprights and axles. Do the Koni's run the same Spring size as the Penskes? Speaking of uprights enjoy the lovely midwest rust on the set I got from the Wisconsin Dells. Those from locations that are not accustomed to rusty cars might want to look away. :lol:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZX26t05VTzuw9A5gkadFYvH2pe659g4B
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_zVJJQSupBdJ_HIotBfsHDe3-3MnoAJv
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KYsZYNaUDlNYRJLKNDgfS28ukVbDCD0L

I picked up a Sabelt Harness for a great price, it is the 2in/3in Hans style. I was wondering if there tips and tricks for lacing up the shoulder belts? Also can you clip the sub belts and lap belts to the same mounting point? Both have the clip style latch.

I am looking forward to seeing those of you who will be at June Sprints. I will be running around wearing many hats primarily Assistant Flag Chief and doing Social Media cover for Chicago Region. Don't forget to use #JuneSprints to help share your story.

As long as I am not having to collect worker gear or get writeups and workers to the Stewards I should see you all at the party on Friday. Also if anyone wants to unload parts or tires that might have some life on them and not carry them back home let me know and see what we can do.
Chris B
Chicago Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 pm
Thought I would do a little update.

Well thanks to the RunOffs 2020 announcement of the return to Road America, the project was slightly on hold as I was having to contemplate completing this project and if there was any chance of doing Gen 3 by 2020, and the pro's / cons of just going right to a Gen 3. We have had a strong Gen 2 contingent in Central Division so I really wanted to know how many cars would do the change over or sit out next year to save money.

I think we will have some Gen 2 remaining but I just came to realize it was insane thinking I could even afford to do a Gen 3. So I got back on the horse to try and get this done hopefully by the Fall Sprints at Blackhawk. I have a large majority of the parts needed, still need axles, CV stuff and get the trans built, and other misc parts. Work has also been very busy and having so many race weekends together for flagging has taken up a bunch of any spare time I had.

I was blessed enough to be allowed to use a car for a day at the Firecracker Divisional at Blackhawk a few weeks ago. Qualified 3rd in Gen 2 which I was amazed with. Consistency is my big area, like somehow completely ruining the apex at 6 for my fast lap...a turn I had been nailing most times. Well here is the lap enjoy!

https://youtu.be/IxY-r526wEI
Chris B
Chicago Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:56 pm
Nice lap Chris. Don't feel too bad about missing the apex at 6. I think it is the most difficult corner at Blackhawk.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:51 pm
Chris, check your email on this web site.

Pat
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:48 pm
It has been a long time since I have given you all an update so I thought you might enjoy seeing the progress. I actually almost shelved this project as I was given an offer on a Gen 2 car, but at the exact same time I was in the hospital for a week due to kidney issues. So even with insurance those funds evaporated into thin air! I've still run into a nice snafu this past month as losing my job as part of a layoff.

Things are starting to move fast now. Although the car doesn't look like much from what you have seen before, the main part has been acquiring parts still.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gt5qx-YBRjjvgAbUCEg04xPnV4-ZzWME

I was able to purchase a set of used Penskes and springs from this wonderful forum as the two sets Koni's I had were complete garbage and even a set of springs had age on them, one of them being 70lbs off of specified range. One of the new Penskes is slower than the rest and will have to change some of the sphericals too. Functional shocks is very good!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Akg5kCVJFXBn4c6rb1RTXrrFarCaj17x

I also finished the fuel cell assembly and installation. The fuel cell is a used cell that was reinspected and reinforced in little places. This was done for $90, what a steal! I will be running the external fuel pump since I have one with the hosing that I was given by a fellow competitors that did a Gen 3 Conversion.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bTqzmw0QApJWc4Whvwn6ydaCQiHGuyxS
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1chYt7JZNqnQRGgYXAhPf5cDqVEOCALN6

This week I will hopefully getting my set of brand new Safecraft Racing belts, that I won as part of a little game as part of the Dinner With Racers podcast, episode with Charles Espenlaub. They actually make the belts here in the Chicago area and was given a roughly 1 week turn around for custom set of belts.

This weekend hopefully we will have the UCA holes be welded up with new washers as when I was finally putting them together I realized they did the ovaling of the holes. I decided not to assemble the suspension bits I have until that is done. No desire to assemble and disassemble again, plus I am trying to find the front and rear anti-roll bars.

I am getting really close, it feels like I have opened the box of legos and just need to put together now....yet still missing a few pieces. One of the biggest parts I am trying to find is a master cylinder mount.

Goal was do to the drivers school weekend and double divisional at Blackhawk Farms, but with it being moved up this year ran into a conflict with Star Wars Celebration which is in Chicago for the first time ever...and of course I was committed to working it over a year ago. If I do race that weekend it only be the Sunday most likely. :(

I hope you all enjoyed the update!
Chris B
Chicago Region

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions