Current Simulator Game

All things specracer!
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:31 pm
Been a few years since I tried iRacing. Even after their major update to the gen2 I found the car to be difficult to drive. Can anyone weigh in on what the closest game/car is to a gen3 these days?
Ted Wentz
NEDiv #21
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:38 pm
I remember in rFactor that we had an SRF league with various other drivers via apexspeed. If I remember correctly I think it was developed with some help of drivers. I am unsure if it has been ported over to RFactor 2 or not.

Was never really much of a fan of iracing. For the amount of money you spend on content and subscriptions and stuff it felt rather cheap, and don't even get me started on the car sound files. I haven't sim raced in a while due to my old tower power supply crapping out and its been so long I need to build a new system now. Hope this helps.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:20 pm
Indeed, the iRacing Spec Racer is an un-driveable slug.

But there is a workaround: the iRacing Skip Barber open wheeler. Yes, it's a winged formula car on street tires, but it can be set up to perform and feel very close to a GEN3 car. I worked with the owner of Crimson Simulation in Norwalk, CT to set up a Skippy car up to act like a GEN3, and it comes close enough to be a very realistic SRF GEN3 practice car.

You'll need to fiddle with the car's chassis set up to dial it in. I can't recall the settings off the top of my head.

Try it!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:36 pm
Hey guys, I was wondering when the last time you tried the SRF in iracing. I know in the past it was a dog in replicating the real SRF. However, there has been some tire modeling updates, and suspension updates in recent seasons. I drove the Spec in early 90's, so its a little hard for me to remember that accurately. We do have some current drivers running the virtual series with us, and have got some favorable input on how it does. It does take some getting used to with no seat of the pants feel, but all the feel being in the steering. The virtual goggles (Occulus or Vive) helps alot as well.
I run a league every Sunday, Weekend Warriors, and we typically put 40+ cars on track now, drivers and SRF fans from all over the world. We would always welcome some input from current real life drivers. Set ups are shared, and some input on how the real car acts would also be welcome.
I am looking to get a relation started between real world drivers and virtual drivers. Check out the facebook group. I have shared links to our league race broadcasts on YouTube, and also there is a website I would also invite you to check
www.virtualmotorsportsracing.com
Thanks for any input
Steve
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:53 pm
Hey, I drive GEN3 and the re-swizzle of the Skippy School car setup comes very close to a GEN3. I would say, if you can convince them to do it, ask iRacing to re-body their Skippy School car with a GEN3 SRF and ask Crimson Simulation in Norwalk, CT for the setup numbers.

It probably could use a smidge more fine-tuning, but the heavy lifting for the current GEN3 sim car is already done.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:43 pm
Iracing requires proper screen, wheel setup to get the most out of it. I find the SRF in iracing a good tool that's comparable to gen2 in real life once you have the setup right. Oculus Rift further enhances the expirence.

Iracing really need to update to gen3 to make a more useful tool again. The lack of Hoosier update alone makes it less useful for real life.

I actually just left Mike Davies a voicemail about this. From my understanding, iracing asked SCCA enterprises for a bunch of info that Mike has not been able justify spending the time on. I have offered to help with info gathering to see if we can get what iracing needs to move forward with gen3.

I encourage anyone interested to reach out to Mike to let him know you care about it.

The SRF used to be the most popular class in iracing and it's getting left behind.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm
Interesting note Josh0! I have been in contact with some CSR's, and even discovered a Division last nite who does time trials and races for its members in the SRF and MX5.
I sent Mike Davies an email today basically about the iracing SRF community, the size of it, and the need to establish some relationship with the real world guys. ESports is growing every day.
I will also have a discussion about the Gen 3 if given a chance to provide some input. I am not iracing, just a member and a very active league within it, using the SCCA SRF. Mazda uses it for developement, so why cant there be some incentives to get virtual SRF drivers into seats in the real car. One CSR I have talked with is already offering a nice discount for our guys for a Feb drivers school! I hope to get more dialog going with the real world SRF community

Steve Ray
www.virtualmotorsportsracing.com

Return to General Discussions