Potential SRF racer: GEN 2 vs GEN 3 want opinions

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 pm
First ever post.. sorry if its stupid question. Been lurking and reading for a while.
I read through a lot of older posts.. but hope its ok to post this up fresh.. want some fresh opinions from people.

I am in Northern California. I currently vintage race a Datsun 510 with a Socal club which i will continue doing, but wanted to perhaps try SRF racing as well. So my SRF would be a second race car / experience. Not replacing what i currently do. Which means budget and maintenance headaches is a real issue. I want cheap and easy.

I initially was looking at Gen3. But got to thinking.. the entry cost of Gen2 is so much lower and since this is a second race hobby for me (looking at only doing 2-4 races per yer max) perhaps Gen2 makes more sense?

What are the pluses and minuses of Gen2 vs Gen3? Are Gen2 cars still fully supported in regards to parts availability, trackside support, etc? Will i have other Gen2 cars to race with here in SF region? Are they are as reliable and safe as Gen3?

Other than being a bit heavier and less power, what are the disadvantages of a Gen2? Keeping in mind this is not my primary race hobby.. this is just my way to get a new racing experience and get some seat time on my home tracks (my vintage club only races Socal and Nevada tracks) and learn to drive better and meet some new folks.... does my thinking about the lower entry cost for GEN 2 make sense? am i barking up the right tree here?

Opinions, info, advice please. thanks

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:28 pm
I think all the parts you'd be replacing trackside are still the same?
It's heavily region dependent so it's good to ask a local but Gen2's generally aren't eligible to run in as many races since it's no longer a national class (even if they outnumber many cars that are).

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:21 pm
I'm also a long-time lurker here with exactly the same question about exactly the same region.

In short, since I'd need a season or two to develop driver skill and track knowledge, is Gen2 viable in the NorCal area before stepping up to Gen3? Figure I'll be an also-ran so why not do it with less money while I'm learning.

Looking forward to hearing from NorCal races especially, but everyone generally.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:05 pm
BilCoh wrote:I'm also a long-time lurker here with exactly the same question about exactly the same region.

In short, since I'd need a season or two to develop driver skill and track knowledge, is Gen2 viable in the NorCal area before stepping up to Gen3? Figure I'll be an also-ran so why not do it with less money while I'm learning.

Looking forward to hearing from NorCal races especially, but everyone generally.

Thanks,

Dave

well... the cool thing is if both you and i can find Gen 2 to buy, we will be able to race against each other at least!! They are racing this weekend, so i am planning to head up tomorrow to Thunderhill and check things out and meet my neighbor up there (races SRF 3) and maybe talk to a few people and put feelers out on cars. I can afford to go the Gen 2 route if i can find one locally that is turnkey for a deal... i think i can buy it and still keep my wife! MAYBE. But seems they are all in other regions and shipping kind of kills the bargain a bit.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 pm
Looks like Gen2 can run in this weekend's race. Lucky for you, San Francisco Region runs alot of regionals since I think Majors and Super Tour events only allow SRF3
https://www.sfrscca.org/event/regionals-7-8/

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 pm
Well...look at the numbers: If u buy a G2 now, and decide to convert it to G3, consider the purchase + conversion cost is likely > buying a G3 to start. And you will like driving the G3 more than the G2!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:52 am
If you look at this weekend's Thunderhill races, there were 10 Gen2's and 18 Gen3's, so there's definitely a place to play in SF Region if you go with a Gen2. Parts availability is not a major issue, though I expect that transmissions (due to mandatory ratio changes for Gen 3, it may be harder to find someone with a spare transmission at the track in the future (though rebuild costs should not be materially different, especially if you forego the "upgraded" straight-cut gears.)

If you can get one in good condition at a decent price, it's not likely to depreciate much further and you will still have the option to upgrade to a Gen3 in the future. For about 1/3 the cost of a Gen3, I'd say the Gen2 is a fine "starter" car for this region. Another option to consider, if you're only going to race a couple of times a year, is renting instead of buying, from a local race shop. I know the shop I work out of, CSR Performance, still has a Gen2 (as well as Gen3) in its rental pool, and I expect other shops in the Region do as well.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:47 am
pmiranda wrote:Looks like Gen2 can run in this weekend's race. Lucky for you, San Francisco Region runs alot of regionals since I think Majors and Super Tour events only allow SRF3
https://www.sfrscca.org/event/regionals-7-8/

All Super Tour events are SRF3 only. Gen2's can run in Majors if the organizer of the event includes them in the supps.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm
SRF can run as a SRF3 at Majors and Super Tours as long as they meet the SRF rules (1670 weight, seals etc..).
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Accelracetek-285423508982
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:09 am
The GEN2 is a great car for the money. We have 4 drivers that graduated from drivers school this year running a GEN2. Two of the guys bought their car, out of state, for $8k and are having a blast. We are the dealer/CSR in the SFR and bring almost all the parts needed for at GEN2 to all events. We have 4 GEN2's in our rental fleet or if you are interested in buying one we can help. There are still Spec Renaults running after 20+ year of being obsoleted, so think the GEN2's will be running for a while.

The positive to running a GEN2 are:
1. Motors are cheep
2. Transmissions and clutches last for almost ever
3. There are a lot of used parts available (Pick and Pull)
4. The motors are very reliable
5. They can be upgraded to a GEN3

The positive of running a GEN3
1. They are about 3-4 seconds faster than a GEN2
2. They sound cooler and rev higher
3. There are more of them at the races
4. The competition is better (the best drivers)

I know our guys that are running a GEN2 are having a blast this year. I recommend you start with a GEN2 and then sometime in the future consider upgrading.

Feel free to contact me for more information or I could put you in contact with our other new GEN2 drivers. Bruce Richardson (669) 232-4844 http://www.accelracetek.com
Attachments
Photo Front LR.jpg
My GEN2 at Thunderhill Raceway Race #5&6
Photo Front LR.jpg (76.61 KiB) Viewed 13272 times
Next

Return to General Discussions