Racing Flicks Coming!

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 am
Put down your helmets and grab some popcorn. There's a bunch of racing movies coming...

First up is "The Art of Racing in the Rain" from Garth Stein's best-selling book. Produced by Patrick Dempsey from 20th Century Fox. Now in post-production for Summer 2019 release. Voice of Enzo the dog played by Kevin Costner (really).

Next up is the big one -- "Ford v. Ferrari." The story of Ford's epic 1967 Le Mans win stars Christian Bale as Ken Miles, Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby, Tracey Letts as Henry Ford II, Remo Girone as Enzo Ferrari, and Ford GT Mk IV (and Spec Racer) designer Roy Lunn will be played by JJ Feild. June 28, 2019 release date. That's a weekend reserved for summer blockbusters.

Want more Enzos? Coming right up.

"Ferrari" is reportedly in production starring Hugh Jackman in the title role and set in 1957.

And the Enzos just keep coming...

A "Lamborghini" biopic is in pre-production. I don't recognize the title role actor but the role of Enzo himself as a rival is reportedly set for Alec Baldwin.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:45 am
I forgot to include a cast member in "Ford v. Ferrari." It's Alex Gurney. Guess who he plays?

No word on whether or not Larry Foyt was cast. In fact, I can't find any credit for who plays A.J.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:31 pm
That's cool. I just finished reading "Go Like Hell" by AJ Baime. Recalls the story of Henry Ford II quest to beat Ferrari at Le Mans after Enzo rebuffed Fords buy out offer.

Bill

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:23 pm
Just saw "Art of Racing in the Rain" and after seeing such horrors as DRIVEN I think it's safe to say this film is so much better than I expected. Some fun stuff for BMW fans I wasn't expecting and the story has been simplified a bit from the book version in ways that I think are superior. If anything the plot hangs together much more believably and works so much better on the big screen than I thought it would.

Looking forward to Ford v Ferrari... I hope the wait is worth it because they've started advertising for it really far in advance.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 pm
I saw it too. Don't expect as much racing as in the book. They cut it back to probably keep the budget in line. This one had a $20 million budget, "Rush" was north $60 million (and still came up short in the racing sequences).

They also cut out a plot line from the book. (The rape accusation)

That said, still a solid movie that's faithful to the spirit of the book. Please prepare to suspend your disbelief that a thirty-something IMSA driver would ever get within five miles of Maranello, much less drive for Ferrari in F!.

Disney was smart for running a "Ford v. Ferrari" trailer with this. That's the Big One. Can't wait.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:24 pm
Just read an article on the prospects for 20th Century Fox films, now a Disney company. It appears that the studio is betting heavily on how well "Ford v Ferrari" and their space sci-fi "Ad Astra" do this fall.

Fox believes "Ford v Ferrari" is an Oscar contender. That's why they postponed the opening from June until awards season in November. Given the relatively low quality of racing movies as fully rounded motion pictures from a technical, story, direction and acting standpoint for the general (non-racer) audience, this blows my mind.

This is intriguing, to say the least.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:30 am
"Gobsmacked" is a great word. Takes "dumbfounded" up a few notches. So it's appropriate that I'm gobsmacked over the early reviews for "Ford V Ferrari." It got a lot of positive buzz coming out of the influential Telluride Film Festival a few weeks back and is being touted a genuine Oscar contender. Several reviews gushed that Ken Miles is the defining role of Christian Bales' career. WTF?

This a racing movie and, with exception of "Rush" and "Heart Like a Wheel," they're supposed to suck artistically.

Not this one. This is just one typical review and, for all its enthusiasm, the least enthusiastic I've read so far...

https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2019/09/04/ford-v-ferrari-review-matt-damon-christian-bale/
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 am
By the way, I forgot to mention that at Telluride people --jaded movie fans, tough crowd -- were leaving the screening of "Ford v Ferrari" in tears.

In tears!

I suspect that those of this who know how the plot turns out historically know what caused the waterworks to open up but I don't want be spoiler to those who don't.

The biggest problem with racing movies is that the casual moviegoer doesn't care for characters as selfish, self centered and ostensibly reckless as professional race drivers. Of course, this isn't always true but that's the way they usually come off. This doesn't appear to be the case with this one, or to some extent "Art of Racing in the Rain."
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:02 am
Sounds like a great way to get the racing juices flowing again after the post-runoffs lull!
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am
Here's are a couple encouraging quotes from a Business Insider interview about Ford v Ferrari:
"a lesson I've learned from ... Hitchcock or John Ford, is you don't need a lot of action, you just need the right action."
"Out of the thousands of shots in the movie, there are maybe two where there is a digital car dropped in."

The director previously did "Cop Land", "Walk the Line", "3:10 to Yuma", and "Logan".
Next

Return to General Discussions