2-place Spec Racer pictures?

All things specracer!
Former Specracer National Champion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:50 pm
The first time I saw a two-seat Spec Racer, actually a Sports Renault at the time, was in St. Louis for the first SR festival. It was used to take a few laps of in-traffic-in-car video, (a big deal back then), using a passenger who held a camera. I think the video was later played on what back then was called the Speed Channel. I haven't seen one for a long time and am curious if someone who has or had one, (I think there might be a grand total of three or four?), would post some pictures with the body on and off. The subject is stuck on my brain and I am curious how the chassis and bodywork were modified.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:30 pm
I haven't been around that long - but have looked at and for the work Fenske did. He made some HUGE modifications to the Sports Racer/Renault chassis and part of it was a 2-seat conversion. An example of one was recently on Racing Junk. It has been modified with an EcoTec engine - turbo to boot.

Does that help? or search for : Turbo Ecotec Sports Racer

I for one am quite happy with the single seat -- but much of the other mods - lower side pods he did, intake changes for radiator, and the body mold split. He also did some major suspension work - new custom uprights as shown in the advert (As I recall).

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:31 pm
Thanks, Jim I'll take a peek. Still, if anyone has body-off chassis shots of the original SR 2-seater I like to see them.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:26 am
As I recall at the 25 year anniversary event there were two 2 seat spec racers. I believe one was Mike Davies car. You might want to reach out to him.
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:22 pm
Jim, if I remember correctly, the 2-seater at the Sports Renault Festival was built by Mike Davies and Scott LaGasse. I don't have a photo but I remember it being there. Yes, as the previous post said, you might contact Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:19 pm
IIRC, the 2 seat trainer was built by Renault Sport. We used it at a driver's school Scott Lagasse put on at Roebling Road in 1988 that I instructed at.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:50 pm
There is one at the Autobahn Country Club. It started life as a Renault and was converted to GEN3 a few years ago by Elite Autosport. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of it when I looked at it last year. The front and rear frame work is identical to a standard spec racer. All of the changes are in the center, where the cockpit is widened into the crush zones on either side of the driver in the standard single seater. Pedals and steering wheel are shifted to the left and the gear shift is in the center of the car. I believe the nose is identical to a single seater. The center and rear bodywork are modified consistent with the wider cockpit. The tail is extremely heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 am
Let me talk to Scott and see if he has any old pics of it. His shop is just 3 blocks from mine.

Return to General Discussions