Enclosed trailer size

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:03 pm
What would anyone recommend as the minimum size trailer you could get by with for a SRF, assuming you would need to leave room for spare set of tires in front of the car or I guess you could build an overhead rack for the tires forward. Have a base Cayenne that I would be pulling it with, so concerned about weight.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:17 pm
I personally would try something from ATC or inTech trailers (all Aluminum) to keep your weight down and it will allow you to opt for a bit longer trailer to accommodate more stuff... I have an inTech trailer myself.
Doug

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:49 pm
There have been some who have used 16ft trailers and made it work. I myself have an 18ft.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 pm
Btw Dave, I think you may struggle with a base Cayenne especially on hills like on the way to WGI.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:57 pm
I pull my srf3 with an open car trailer 14 ft featherlite 3110. I build a tire rack which of course creates some drag and weight. My truck is a gen 3 Toyota Tacoma. Tow rating is 6600lbs with 280HP. No problem at all. That weight is Mickey Mouse.

The Porsche you describes has tow rating of 7700lbs and therefore you are in good shape. If I would not spend all my money on racing and/ or were more successful at my job I'd get the full aluminum Featherlie enclosed trailer 4926 in 20 ft. It has a weight of 2900lbs. That is 4500lbs with a few tires, fuel etc. if you do not bring the kitchen sink.
I do not see any issues with that setup, the only thing I'd do is get a trailer brake controller- make sure that is setup correct so that you do use the trailer brakes. Also drive that combination like an adult not in racing mode. If you really want to play safe you can get an anti sway device which connects between the trailer and the Porsche but I would not do it- too much hassle. I typically go 65mph, that is good MPG and reasonable fast. In Germany people pull bigger trailers with smaller cars and that is legal and no issue. Nothing happens to the Porsche- it is well designed and made to go 200km/h+ on the German Autobahn 24/7, the loads are higher at these speeds than with a little 20ft trailer at 65mph. You will get a lot of comments that the Porsche is too small and fragile to tow a trailer but these are typically people who are stuck at 1970 where their fathers had to do oil changes every 3000 miles and a big domestic V8 had 180Hp with grey cast iron piston rings which needed replacement every 50k miles due to heavy duty farm loads. You will have no issues......do it!
svenmueller_77

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:47 pm
I assumed Dave was asking about an enclosed trailer?

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:52 pm
Our first trailer was an 18' enclosed Wells Cargo and that is about the minimum I would go with. Also look at the Aero on the trailer as the flat front like I have on my current trailer is like a parachute behind my Tahoe. If you can get a trailer that is all Aluminum and with V-Nose it would be a lot easier to tow.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:32 am
I might win the prize for smallest and lightest enclosed trailer. I have a 7 X 16 + 4' V nose all aluminum "motorcycle" trailer. It's around 21' overall. Built by a company no longer around - Prolite. Is it convenient? Well, a bit of a pain to load. But it holds pretty much everything I need, and pulls great! I put a set of shelves and tire storage (3 sets) in the V nose. And I can even get in a 125 CC bike (cross parked) behind the car. I think I come in around 5,000 Lbs fully loaded. (around 1800 - 2000 empty) The 7' width gives you a bit less drag but its a bit tight loading and unloading. I can send you more info if you want.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm
I towed with a 7x14 for years, tires bolted to the walls. It worked great and there was enough space.
I now have an 8 (or 8.5) x 16 and it feels voluminous. I can stack tires in front of the car.
Spec is 12'6" stem to stern.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:24 pm
I have always transported with a 16 x (7.5 or 8.0) enclosed with a flat front. When I started out racing, I vowed never to get a truck and always towed with a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. I eventually switched to a Ram 1500 as it fit my lifestyle better, but never upgraded the trailer.

Up front, I have a bench with rolling toolbox underneath it, 6 spare tubs, generator, air tank, etc.. Above I have cabinets. Between the car and the workbench, I put a Honda spree. The tires are up in the air across the back of the trailer to try and offset the weight upfront. It's small, but gets the job done. You could also get a way with a 14 as well.

Once of these days I will goto a bigger trailer, but only because I have my family coming with me now and I want to get a golf cart.
Next

Return to General Discussions