New To SPEC RACING

How To Get Started

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:01 am
I am new owner of Spec Racer and want to learn how to drive car. I know raceseat time is best trainer; but what type of street car might I drive on a daily basis to emulate a SRF without busting over $ 5,000. I do not think my Pickup automatic is helping any as I age.
See everbody at COTA
John Dorety
817-939-4032
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:19 am
MR2?
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:38 pm
Miata hands down (unless you can afford an Elise) :).

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:38 pm
Thanks for both replies. Hope all have had great Thanksgiving. Hey, off to the spec miata forums for a car.
John Dorety
817-939-4032
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:42 pm
I'm not sure you can get a nice Miata for sub-5k but you never know... :)
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:40 am
I commuted in a clapped out Ford Pinto with burnt syncros and bald tires in the snow back in the 80s.
(that was fun)

Any rear wheel drive stick will work I think.

One of my favorite street cars to drive is an old 3 cyl. Geo Metro my friend uses as a loaner.
Tried it last winter...I was laughing so hard I almost put another dent in it.
Love driving that car :D

In all seriousness though...Two votes for Miata...Maybe try for a 1999 or at least a 1.8 litre.
<5K should get you one.

You can practice left foot braking in your slush box tow vehicle now.
(I don't LFB but some swear by it)
Dave Gills
#80 Red/Silver (chassis 504)
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:11 pm
Are you talking about learning to drive a "stick" or how to race? You won't learn much about driving an SRF at speed in anything but an SRF (and learning on the street is [fill in the blanks]). While a Miata is a nice car (I've owned two and raced one as well) it's nothing like an SRF in handling (think understeer vs oversteer). Get on a track and get some seat time. Go to driving school(s). Run in other series (NASA TT and/or Enduros). Take the $5,000 and do a "real" driving school. Heck, drag your car and 3 of your best friends out to California and run the NASA 25 hours at Thunderhill. You'll be an expert by the end of that race (and the $5k will come in handy for covering the cost of running and wear-and-tear on the car)!
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:19 pm
I can see the argument in driving a three-pedal car on the street just to stay proficient on the track, but if you've achieved proficiency working a clutch, I think you can jump from you auto-trans tow vehicle into the SRF and be up to snuff in a few seconds. Early stages of heel-toe can be learned on a street car; but once you know the concept, being good at it requires doing it in the car where it counts. In short, I wouldn't pick a street car based on "practicing" for the SRF. But if I did it would probably be a Miata or BRZ. Low HP, RWD.

breton wrote:Are you talking about learning to drive a "stick" or how to race? You won't learn much about driving an SRF at speed in anything but an SRF (and learning on the street is [fill in the blanks]). While a Miata is a nice car (I've owned two and raced one as well) it's nothing like an SRF in handling (think understeer vs oversteer). Get on a track and get some seat time. Go to driving school(s). Run in other series (NASA TT and/or Enduros). Take the $5,000 and do a "real" driving school. Heck, drag your car and 3 of your best friends out to California and run the NASA 25 hours at Thunderhill. You'll be an expert by the end of that race (and the $5k will come in handy for covering the cost of running and wear-and-tear on the car)!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:10 pm
I agree that nothing drives like a SRF. I learned to drive mine first in a NASA TT/HPDE event, before I took it to Comp School.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Return to How To Get Started