Towing - Navigation Systems

Getting to the track and back, where you stay while you are there.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:44 pm
We want to upgrade the navigation system in our tow vehicle. Or current one is a Garmin stand-alone unit that is several years old. It works pretty well, but needs a map upgrade that costs more that the unit is worth. I have been supplementing it with both iPad and Android navigation apps, but both have various drawbacks, like needing a wireless connection and being more oriented towards getting around town as opposed to taking long trips.
Two of my primary uses are finding diesel fuel and places to stay that take dogs and have room to park trailers.
I've just about decided to get a new unit, either stand-alone or in-dash, but am now in analysis paralysis.
Any suggestions??
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm
I have a Tom Tom unit that has lifetime traffic and map upgrades. It does well for me. The information regarding parking space and such is not available though. For that type of planning, I get on my laptop and have to do the research ahead of time.

I knew truck drivers have their own road atlases. So, I figured that there were trucker GPS units as well. Yep, Rand McNally makes some for truckers. http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-TND- ... ds=tnd+710
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:50 pm
There are iPhone/iPad apps that download maps, so wireless connections are not required. I use NavFree on both my iPhone and iPad mini and it's free (do need to download maps by State/Country as needed.) There is a "paid" version that has a bit more detail but for generally getting from point a-b it works fine (and it won't suck up the battery as much as "real-time" download apps like the Apple or Google map applications.) Haven't used it enough to know if it has POI capabilities.

For fuel, I use "GasBuddy" on the iPhone, which is pretty good at finding both the nearest and lowest cost stations (helpful for diesel, though it won't tell you if a MH or trailer will fit!)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:07 pm
I have a Garmin 2495(?) with lifetime maps, gas info and hotels but no dog info! Works great , is simi configurable, though it ocassionaly takes me a few miles out of the way but still reliable.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
865, 91, 3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:19 pm
Dave,

Check out 'Allstays TRuck Stops & Travel Plazas' on the iPhone/iPad.

It helped me on my circuit of the USA, because it tells you where diesel truck stops are (great when towing huge trailers), and it only shows motels that have 'truck' parking (as in semis)

Rod S

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:19 pm
Dave,

I use an Galaxy S3 Android cell.
I have a folder for the following free map/direction apps;
Co-Pilot
Waze
Google Maps
My Direction
Map Quest
Verizon navigation
etc etc etc

I downloaded Co-pilot and this app downloaded 15meg file of the US roads. So now Co-pilot can operate just like your Garmin/Tom Tom only on your cell phone.
I like Co-pilot and have used various series for over 7-8 yrs.
( I have used Co-pilot with my laptop in our motor home. Currently I use Microsoft Streets & Trips)

myDAT Trucker app provides, fuel prices/location, Truck Stops, scales, rest stops, Pacific Pride, hotel for truckers, and even your friendly Wal Marts

ps; I was looking at Wal Mart and they have a 5" Gramin {I think a 450 model }Refurbished for ? $82-83 bucks
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 pm
Appreciate all the good input, it has been very helpful, at least in figuring out more about my requirements.

I had been pretty satisfied with the Garmin until the $ for updates issue came up. I have an Android phone and had been using Google Maps traffic info to help with my commute. But the screen is too small to make it really handy for road trips.

Then I got access to an iPad and that seemed like the perfect solution, with a big screen and the Garmin GPS Navigator (as recommended above). But the iPad is a WiFi version and doesn't have GPS chips (I tether to the Android phone).

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:44 pm
Dave-
Maybe you could use the advice I always receive from my crew:

"Just shut up and drive!"

H.(clockwise or anti-clockwise?)B.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:22 am
Thanks for the post!

Return to Towing and Trailers