Penske Shock?

The best place to buy and sell anything related to Spec Racer Fords

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:56 pm
Wondering if anyone has a single good used shock they are able to sell, and will be at the runoffs?
I just discovered that one of my shocks is "dead" and since I'm in Canada it may be a problem if I need to send my shock in for rebuild.
I'm looking into if Performance Shocks at Sonoma can do a quick rebuild when I get down there, hoping I don't have to buy a new shock.
Glenn
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Depending on the condition of your shock, it may be about the same cost to buy just the shock only (part 280396 @ $395USD). This can be pretty close to a rebuild cost if you need much more than just a basic rebuild (e.g. bent shaft or scratch shock interion). You just use on the ancillary pieces from your shock (e.g. the bearings, shock head, spring perches, bump stop, etc. A complete shock is ~$480USD)

Alternatively, I have used Performance Shocks over the last few years for my rebuild with good results. Generally there are usually a few extras that are requred (e.g. tired bearings, new internals pieces) that push the price up from the basic rebuild cost. I would recommend that you set a price limit before approving a rebuild since things like replacing a shock shaft can drive the cost pretty close to the full price of a new shock only. If they can't rebuild at a reasonable price, then you have the new shock body option as a backup. Their turnaround is good, especially if you let them know your issues. Not sure about the complexities of shipping to/from Canada, though. Guess you could have them hold it for you at the track, since they are locating right inside the Sonoma Raceway facility, which may save you shipping and duty costs. Worth giving them a call to discuss.

BTW, my recommendation would be to do all 4 shocks rather than just one, especially if it's been a while since the last rebuild. The stiffness of a fresh rebuild can be quite dramatic, even if the other shocks seem OK.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Advertising