Gearing on the CSR Gen 3's

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:49 am
I, too, was a staunch member of the Deadset on the 3.85 Gear Set Set. However, I do agree with testing the Bejeezus out of this first. (And if you've ever had your Bejeezus tested, you know how painful that can be.)

Gentlemen -- start your data ack!

Now I gotta go out and paint my trailer. Wheeee! We having fun yet?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:27 am
I believe the 3.85 gear should be installed at the time of conversion.

I realize that the greatest concern with changing ratios is the cost of the rebuild, but remember that for most people the conversion will be between one and four years from now. Active racers will probably put 5 to 20 more races on their current transmissions before they convert to the GEN3. Thus, many of the transmissions would be due for rebuild anyway.

Even if the trans was at half-life and you didn't want a full rebuild, you could save an R+R if you install the 3.85 at the time of conversion, and the cost would be about 1/3 that of a full rebuild. Afterwards, once the trans does require a full rebuild, you will have already bought the final drive; the new differential would typically be reused for at least three rebuilds.

There is also another advantage of going to the new ratio. When you buy the new gear, it comes as a complete differential housing. A little-known but serious problem with continuing to use the current ratios is that THE CURRENT DIFFERENTIAL HOUSINGS ARE WEARING OUT where the axles slide into the differentials. This causes excessive play at the CVs, which leads to accelerated CV and differential wear, as well as driveline vibrations and jerk. All of the current transmissions are running on borrowed time before they will need a new differential anyway, regardless of which ratio is installed.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1079944414
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:23 am
I'm bumping this topic after some discussion at the NJMP Majors with the SRF crew about this...

How did the Daytona data collection go?
Any other races with data?
What does that data say?
What do the racers say?
What do the "powers that be" say?
Is there another "option" that is still on the table?

If the data shows, and the folks that have raced the new G3 support the 3.85 over the 3.62, my preference would be, and that of MANY others in the NE, that we run the new 3.85 R&P with the new G3 motor.

This is an amazing new G3 motor package that Erik, Mike and the team at SCCA Enterprises has put together... and thank you all for that.

My hope would be that we don't compromise it with our old obsolete 3.62 transmission...

FYI... My plan is to have my first race in my G3 at Sebring 2016.
Robert Reed
N.E. SRF#03
A.M.E.C. VW#99
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:35 am
Thanks Rob! I referenced transmission cores in another thread, and its specifically 3:62's we are really short of already. So...discussions about how to address that loop back to the original topic. A number of new GEN3 conversions are installing 3:85's due to lack of usable 3:62's. I know what those folks are hoping for / betting on.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:26 pm
Last year I drove the Elite Autosport GEN3 with a 3.62 installed. In May, I had the opportunity to run the same car with a 3.85 installed.

Two things stood out. First, as others have said, shift points with the 3.85 are very similar to the current SRF. I found myself shifting only 50 to 100 feet further down the track with the 3.85 GEN3 than with the current SRF. Second, I was able to time my up shifts more precisely because the revs advanced slightly slower than with the 3.62.

My best lap on the South Track of the Autobahn Country Club was a tenth quicker with the 3.85 than it had been with the 3.62 last year (1:35.2 vs 1:35.3). My lap times were also more consistent with the 3.85, though it is difficult to say whether that was due to more time in the GEN3 in general or moving closer to familiar 1.9 shift points.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 pm
I would like to add my vote for 3.85 ratio sooner rather than later if for no other reason than I'm getting the Gen3 conversion in the next few months and am also getting the tired 4 time rebuilt transmission rebuilt again when I do the change over.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:17 pm
It is now safe to hold your breath awaiting a reply to the 3:85 inquiries... ;)
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:49 am
Have a fresh trans, just rebuilt, what will be the charge to change the RP?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 am
Approximately $700 for the parts.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 pm
Will now we are doing the Gen3 conversion and can not get the 385 gear. No CSR's have them, don't know when they are going to get them. Some people have them. Need some help from Eric on this. Customers want to run Daytona and have entered but want to run 385 first install so not to pay for another R&R. I have cars piling up. Not to mention spare unit. So plan way ahead now.
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3