Random conversion questions.

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:42 pm
I'm in the home stretch and have a couple of issues:

1. The instructions are not clear where I run the coolant hose #4 from the aluminum coolant tank down to the back of the engine. It leaves the tank with a 90# fitting, and it's supposed to be 33" long and end with the straight fitting. But the only open -6 inlet I see is near the water pump and if that's the correct location then the hose seems too long, and a 90 degree fitting makes more sense.

2. There's a wire that comes off the back of the engine (looks like a banjo bolt at the engine but it's a wire not a hose). Where does that sucker go?

3. I think I'm missing from my kit the -12 tube from the -12 AN coolant outlet on the back of the motor to the catch can on the left. The instructions are not clear on what this part looks like and there are no photos. It should have a 30 degree fitting on one end and 60 on the other, but it seems that I have two 30 degree fittings and no 60 degree fitting.

4. If I need to wait for the above hose part, should I hold off on installing the intake and injectors? Or can I fit it from below.

THX

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:54 pm
#1 - On this one, you are OK. It is long because when you put the intake manifold back in the tube will not fit between the manifold and the back of the driver cockpit (particularly if you have a sheet metal shield covering the shoulder belt ladder), so you will have to route the tube to the driver's left (down and around). That is why it is long. It attaches above the driver's right radiator hose inlet on the front of the engine.

#2 - Not sure from your description. Send a picture to pheteplace (at) aol.com.

#3 - The tube is blue, one inch in diameter and about 20 inches long. If you don't see something like that, it's not there. The tube will need to be shortened to fit.

#4 - Do not install the intake manifold before resolving 1, 2 & 3.

I am around all day Sunday. If you need to chat, send me an email with your phone number.

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm
BTW, on #3, I bought a 90 degree 12AN fitting for the back of the engine. It fits better.

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:46 pm
Greg:
Sounds like you are moving along.
#1: the kit comes with a straight fitting at the coolant tank and I think it's a 90 at the water pump. The length is long as some of us mount the blue hose between the fuel pressure reg and the throttle body. Others buy another 90 fitting and run it pretty much straight down from the coolant tank. Also depends on your shoulder harness mountings. I used the straight fitting and mounted it tight against my fire wall just in front of the throttle body.
#2: that elect conn is for your map or T-map. Keep it handy toward where your alternator will be as you can connect it to your harness on top of the intake manifold once it's installed. The other end (labeled knock) is close to the other conn such as the cam sensor and your injectors and is handier to connect to on top of your intake manifold.
#3: the 12 blue hose is the largest one in your kit. Like Dave said it needs to be trimmed but go easy on trimming as not much for me anyway needed to be cut off.
#4: I would hold off as it's much easier to work your way up to installing the intake manifold rather than working from below as Dave mentioned.
Email me if you need to chat if you lost my cell.
Good luck!
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:13 am
All issue sorted. Thanks for the help online and offline.

There is a lot of stuff that has to fit behind the seatback and in front of the motor. I can see that I'll probably spend some time re-situating the engine harness. It's twisted around in a number of places. It's like the game "Twister." You plug stuff in, in a fairly random order, and the results are predictable.

Once you get it all in there (hoses, intake, alternator, wiring), you then realize that the throttle cable has to run back there!

I ran a straight coolant fitting from the aluminum tank, around the throttle body and back to a 60 degree fitting (repurposed from my Gen 2 setup).

Hopefully, I'll start it up some time this week.

QUESTION: What do I do with the vacuum line that comes out the bottom/side of the throttle body?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:09 am
Greg: look for my PM. I have a couple of tips and heads-up in that.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:13 am
Greg:
The vacuum line swings down under the throttle body and connects to your fuel pressure regulator.
By the way, before you install the intake manifold, double and triple check all your fittings for tightness as you wont get much of a second chance once the manifold is installed.
Fick
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:24 am
markfick wrote:Greg:
The vacuum line swings down under the throttle body and connects to your fuel pressure regulator.
By the way, before you install the intake manifold, double and triple check all your fittings for tightness as you wont get much of a second chance once the manifold is installed.
Fick

There are two vacuum lines. One from the NEW intake manifold, and one from the OLD throttle body. I thought the hose from the new manifold goes to the FPR. Either way, I've got more hoses than places to stick them!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:38 am
I took off the old vacuum hose and plugged the hole on the bottom of the throttle body. Nothing in the instructions saying to do this, but it just seemed logical.

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:04 pm
I confirmed plugging the vacuum tube with my CSR (LaRuue). It is the correct solution.

DaveP
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3