GEN3 Impressions Please

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 pm
Overall I was quite impressed - Love the room avialable to work in the engine bay- will simplify the engine management as well and hopefully fewer electrical problems too!

Mike has done a great job with this- was great to see in person. I think it will make for even better racing as we will have a bit more to wrok with - likely similar to the difference when the Ford came out.

I will be on the early list.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:11 pm
Plan is still to run the Ford car, as a sub-class, until 2017?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:35 pm
Hi Erik,

Put me on the 2015 list for three.

Peter Jankovskis
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:43 pm
dd16 wrote:Plan is still to run the Ford car, as a sub-class, until 2017?

ABSOLUTELY! And we are ready to confirm that we don't want to risk loosing anyone to other options after that, so after the 2015-2017 two classes, the 1.9L will be welcome to run still within the GEN3 class. Not equalized, but if a group wants to race each other we want them still out there!

Enterprises will be on such solid ground, after a succesful launch and with all the new customers that GEN3 attracts, maybe we can spring for "bragging rights" trophies at some events for the 1.9L guys :D
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 pm
http://www.specracer.com/SRFInfo/Gen3/2013Mar09/COTAPics.html
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 am
Any info on the new UCA? Just running out of old parts or Stiffer, lighter, etc...? What are those old rocker arms from anyway?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:16 pm
Here's what came with the pictures (from Mike):
...here are some close to productions pictures of the install. The intake will most likely be a casting, the air filter will get an enclosure. The rest is pretty close.

Because the 1.6 is about 60 lb. lighter than a 1.9…the right side of the car was about 15 / 17 lb. light over all. That is why I moved the fire system and
Rad overflow bottle to the right side. The ECU is on drivers left because all of the ECU companies didn’t want the EFI harness close to the alternator. I didn’t want overflow bottle on the ECU side and the right side needed a little weight.

Bunch of details to talk about with drivers / car owners…couple of things you will not see, but function on the car. Are new ECU features, OEM type “fault code light”, “Pit Speed limiter”, “Multi Map Switch” it’s intended to reduce torque “say in the rain”, EFI “fuel pump out switch” and Serial /CAN output for DATA System use. The ECU features are not set in stone and meant to gauge interest from drivers / car owners. They are low cost items.

I will take in all the feedback from everyone at COTA and finish up the 12 pre-production kit details.
The tube rockers will be available soon and are about 9.5 lb. lighter for a car set.

The new toe / bump steer adjustors will go to production if we don’t get a lot of bad feedback they are about 1.5 lb. lighter for a car set.

If you have questions about any of the items, please ask.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:23 pm
I was around for the tail-end of the Renault-Ford conversion, so I don't know all the details, but what strikes me is there are three key factors that are different this time:
1) Engineered "in-house"
2) by someone who has a passion for the cars in an organization that is the same way
3) in an organization that is open about what they are doing and actively soliciting input.
So have at it, everyone, let them know how you like it (or how you don't).
Dave Harriman
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:38 pm
adambrouillard wrote:Any info on the new UCA? Just running out of old parts or Stiffer, lighter, etc...? What are those old rocker arms from anyway?

As noted in the email Dave posted from Mike Davies: The full set is 9.5 pounds lighter, from the NEW heavier reinforced stamped style rockers we have had since 2007. Close to the originals, which are the Renault source...from back in the day. The stamped part is a QC issue, as the tool is shot and the "bend" in each new one is variable, and tends to creep over time. This tubular part is going to be a similar price, and has to be run in pairs (or of course a full cars worth); no running one on one side of the car. This is a second generation design, it is thin walled, but more than strong enough (with many hours of testing on a frequently driven track day run car - that did some major air and survived with them). It was time to change, and I think Mike noted (maybe on this site) with the new rockers he set the car with equal spring perches and it was within 10 pounds of equal corner weights! Stiffness in flex is likley superior to even the new reinforced stamped parts. There is no way to avoid it. Changing when you damage old ones, in sets, on one end of the car is the right option for most. Buying used ones for years to come can help the most budget conscious. It will actually reduce their costs, as that used option will be much cheaper than buying new stamped style rockers now.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 pm
I h8te the old rocker arms. We are working on some today. :(
Dave Harriman
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3