GEN3 Impressions Please

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm
I likey and Im in for an early order.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 pm
I want one.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 pm
sign me up!
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 pm
I wish I could have been there to see it but with a Gen 3 car being prepared for the Cen-Div area I'll eagerly anticipate a first look. I just hope I can continue to race long enough to enjoy the new car.

One question/bit of information that I wou;ld like to see tracked and reported on is the longevity of the engines from a performance standpoint. In particular, tracking cylinder leak downs, especially after the inevitable over revs from missed shifts, etc. would give us an idea how long the new engines can be expected to remain front-row competitive and if damage is likely. I hope oil analyses are being regularly performed to look for internal wear to see if racing conditions disclose a weak link somewhere with the internals.

Congrats to Mike and Erik for what is obviously a well conceived and executed project. The Sports Renault/SR/SRF concept was 20 years ahead of Indy Car and NASCAR in creating competitive and cost-containing racing. Based on the 20 year life of the SRF package the car appears poised for another 20 successful years.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 am
This sucker looks, and from what I hear sounds, like a real racecar now.

The packaging, for the most part, looks really slick and well thought out. Maybe there's a way we can make the exhaust header with a longer collector to better isolate the (expensive) upper part of the header unit from rear end collision damage?

My engine will be at the end of its service life in 2015. So I'm definitely down for a Gen 3 conversion in the first year.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:27 am
AHHHH! Jim has hit on something I was hoping to expand upon this Fall. COMPETITIVE longevity. We all have heard stories about current 1.9L engines going 5-7 seasons running great, and some 10 year stories. But the vast majority at the pointy end of the pack are in the 2-3 year, 20 - 30 race category, to stay up front! HOWEVER, our FE engines, which are the big brother of the 1.6L Duratec that is in GEN3, have a different story. We have had somwhere near 10 racers just know that they needed an exchange (we replace with a new engine, not rebuild, as we will the 1.6L's for a long time) and ship them in before any sign of actual issue. Frequently we take a shot at dyno'ing first...and until just this month we have NEVER had an FE that was running, but not in the window. Modern engines have equality and longevity that the 1.9L cannot ever have naturally. Shannon gets the equality through great efforts. The engine life we have is enviable, but I have had a thought all along that we will see longevity that is even greater with the 1.6L - in terms of staying up front with a single engine.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am
In.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:05 pm
After seeing and hearing the car at COTA -- both stationary and blasting away from me down the back straight: Definitely in. Just waiting for the order/deposit plan to come together...

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 pm
I'm with Jim, if I'm still alive in mid 2014 the checks in the mail along with all of the joys and tribulations of being early adopter.

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 pm
Count me in as an early adopter. I very much enjoyed seeing the car and hearing from Mike D. at the COTA event. Great work Mike…thanks tons for looking after us! BTY, I’m looking to get my hands on the rockers and toe-link updates as soon as possible too. Great work!
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3