GEN3 Impressions Please

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:40 pm
In.
Told Erik Gen3 will force me to delay retirement so I can continue racing long enough to get a number of good years in with the Gen3. Looking forward to seeing and hopefully some wheel time when the test car for the Pacific NW gets here.

Todd
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 pm
Saw the car blow by me.
Heard the motor.
listened to Mike's presentation.

Only two questions:
1. Where do I send the check?
2. When can I send it

OEM type “fault code light” - LOVE IT!
“Pit Speed limiter” - NAH DON'T NEED ONE.
“Multi Map Switch” it’s intended to reduce torque “say in the rain” - RATHER DEPEND ON TALENT THAN A SWITCH.
EFI “fuel pump out switch” - LOVE IT!
Serial /CAN output for DATA System use - LOVE IT!

Minimum weight? I'D LIKE TO SEE IT SET UP FOR A 240 LB DRIVER.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 am
Since I have at least 5 years on my current engine, the new one can't come soon enough :-)
Is the price still in the <$10k range?

Pit speed limit might be neat for enduros, although my logger's dash has a speedo so it's not critical for me.
I don't think the multi-map is needed in the rain... might be nice for enduros, though.

Will the CAN output be via a standard OBD-2 port or something else? I know my logger can interface to OBD-2. At worst I imagine I'd just need some level shifters if it's something else.

Maybe for the transition period we can install the new motor with a spec throttle stop ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:25 am
As Jim M. said, I hope I can continue racing long enough to be able to race the GEN3. And I concur with Clueless1 that minimum weight should be based on a 240 lb driver. : )

The car at CoTA looked good and sounded soooooo much better than our 1.9s. I want one!

Meanwhile, I'll take all the new stuff for my 1.9. I especially like the parts that save weight.

Kerry Bonner
SoWDiv SRF #81
Dalrymple Racing Services
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:33 am
I may be fixing to get radical on the weight issue. :) Young people are in better shape these days...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 am
I really appreciate keeping this thread rolling! The emails, texts and this thread are verifying that Mike Davies hit the right balance with GEN3. I particularly appreciate that everyone understands that:

1) We still have testing to do...SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT AFTERWARDS ;)

2) We are working on fair and equitable processes for launch timing, place in line and deposits. As I said at COTA: McLaren and Tesla take deposits...well, so does SCCA Enterprises. ONLY for the acquisition of tooling or parts for GEN3 kits. I also said that you will have paid in full for your kit 30 days prior to delivery. I will run this by the Enterprises Board, but as a person greatly annoyed by inequities in distribution (like the first teams to COTA getting the worst paddock spots – growing pains I know), I want to have an open 30-60 day commitment period where you put a little skin in the game ($1000 minimum - TBD) and then a LOTTERY to fairly determine order of delivery. The first spots MIGHT be auctioned - we only get to do this every 20 years, we need to have some fun! :D

3) I should not confirm pricing, but I can say this…as long as I am at SCCA Enterprises I feel strongly that GEN3 is and must be $9995. My initial numbers added up to $10,500, with electronics separate from engine kit. So I am really proud that we are doing great on our estimates. If you don’t have the in tank pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and new alternator (just the alternator, not the current kit) you are in another $850’ish to have EXACTLY what Davies car is right now. Look for a really special deal on a CDS Co-Pilot system add on before launch! Plug and play, the same sensors feeling the ECU can feed your data system (layman’s terms).

Do you realize we MIGHT be down to a 10 pounds argument on weight...accommodate 230 lbs. or 240 lbs.!! PROGRESS!!!!!

BTW: WE ARE HEALTHY AS EVER and already looking financially strong for 2013! Your support for optional changes that do not effect track performance, but improve the serviceability and quality of the package, is very helpful in this regard. You have greatly exceeded our expectations and original preorders for rotors…creating another challenge…manufacturing enough fast enough!
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:10 am
I like the rain mapping option. Given the incredibly low grip of our rains, and the fact that corners on most tracks can differ greatly in traction from one to the next in the wet, it would provide more predictability and fewer double-yellow pace car periods in rain races.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 pm
I got to see the car at COTA and listened to it run through the esses from the bridge and it looks and sounds fantastic! But, what I'm most excited about is not the added power of the new engine, but the enhanced handling from the 100 lbs weight loss.

Which leads to:

Clueless1 wrote:Minimum weight? I'D LIKE TO SEE IT SET UP FOR A 240 LB DRIVER.

Wow, only 95 lbs of ballast for me! So much for the Jenny Craig SRF weight loss plan...
-Scott

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:02 pm
Erik - I don't think an auction would be fair. Something like allocate cars per division participation numbers for the previous year and then a lottery.

I'll do everyone a favor and not discuss weight (for now).
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 pm
When Gulfstream Aerospace announced their new $60 million G650 private jet, Gulfstream set up a "first-to-wire $500,000 deposit" system. They gave out one account number and a date. Some folks got smart and opened up bank accounts in Savannah so the wire would be "quicker." I told a friend at Gulfstream that it was good that they set up a "fair" system. He pointed out that people who can buy private jets don't give a crap about "fair." After the fact, they wished that they had made it an auction with deliveries going in order of the highest bids. (Don't read this, Erik.)
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3