rain tires

All things specracer!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 am
Anybody have the scoop on when the new rain tires will be out and when we will no longer be able to use the old ones in National events? :ugeek:

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:06 pm
The CSRs have a conference call tonight. They are on the agenda so I will report back tomorrow.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:59 pm
And there is no chance that with the new tires, it would be left to the competitor to decide which tire to use?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:34 pm
There is no mystery...SCCA Published the rules, unless they change them, it is done. February 1st only the new rains are legal for Nationals. Goodyear knows, and knew for months and even got last dibs on the launch timing. The old rains are legal (so both are legal) in Regionals in 2012.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:27 pm
jim flynn wrote:And there is no chance that with the new tires, it would be left to the competitor to decide which tire to use?

It is if you are running a Regional Jim ( at least thru 2012). So if you are running in the Regional part of our May Rational, and it rains, you can lap the National guys :lol:
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 pm
That would be fun!! How do you like your helmet?
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 am
Like my helmet a lot (Stilo ST4F for those who are interested) I sent you a PM.

And fair warning. This year we expect to see you racing the July Double National and Super Tour. it's July 13-15 this year, not over July 4th weekend (there is no July 4th weekend this year) so you have no excuses :-)
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:56 am
I finally got re-registered on the site. Hi guys! Though late to this topic I just wanted to say that I am sad to see the 2011 rain tires go away. I guess I have been lucky as only one set of mine was wrecked by damp but not really wet conditions. It was a joy to experience what real rains are like and am curious how the new ones will behave. If the conduct of the drys on a damp track is any indication I have a feeling that the money saved by not having to replace the wets as often will pale compared to the costs of crash repair. Time will tell, but one thing I have not seen since the "old" rains were introduced was an opening lap with cars sliding all over the place and crashing into each other and the walls on the first lap. It used to happen quite often with the rains that preceeded the Goodyear rains.

Crossing my fingers....

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:32 pm
I got the chance to run the old rain tires during my comp school and I was very impressed with them. During the session, the track dried significantly and I was surprised to find that they were not destroyed by the end of the session based on all of the reports I've read.
-Scott

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:03 pm
I rec an email from competition tire south that they will have the new rains for the Road Atlanta National

give em a call and reserve now- or email me and I will reserve them for you for a small service fee! :twisted:
Next

Return to General Discussions