Thunderhill Dbl. National

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 pm
Thanks for pointing that out Jerry. Far as I know, every member of the SFR Board is running the National except me, and I'll be down in Marina at another SCCA event (organizing the Region's autox Safety re-up class - I sit on our Autox Steering Committee and run the safety program). The Region worked hard to get Infineon to be able to be a second National in the Region this year and to work around adjacent region's schedule as best as we could, so though the mantra is oft repeated, I don't think its accurate to say SF does not support Nationals.

tony
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 pm
Jerry, I was aware that 2 of 3 were registered, can't comment on the other 3. I was just trying to be generic in my comment.
Tony, I suspect that the only reason we have another set of Nationals at Sears Point is that they Rationals. It is well known that there are those that only run Nationals and those that only run Regionals. Other than a little additional cost, I don't understand that philosophy. A race is a race. Since I like to travel to various tracks, one of the reason I chose SRF was I didn't have to worry about weather or not it National or Regional.
Our participation numbers for Nationals have been lacking.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 am
Wish I could be there, but we've sold our house and closing is next Tuesday, so we're buried in packing/moving and will be living in the RV until we close on our new house (hopefully before the end of March). Thank the out-of-towners for coming, but don't make it easy for them! :-)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:12 am
There are some weird things about us having a Rational in July. First is that I think the regional and national Spec Miatas use different tires, the other being what would happen with us if it ever rained here. ;)

If I understand correctly, a National driver can have his finish apply to regional points, or it would be kind of a gyp for the National drivers that also run a full regional season.

If anything, it should pick up out-of-region entries, esp from Southern Cal, where they aren't going to be racing in the Summer....
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
www.facebook.com/mbiracing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:19 pm
Man...I was thinking the same thing as I just looked at the entry list! If it wasn't for the Oregon bunch and a few of us So Cal people the car count for SRF would be single digits! What the heck???? And overall the race has yet to break 100? Eeeesh! I remember when this event used to be 3 days with a test day and if you showed up later there was no damn place to park. Now they have shrunk it to 2 days with a test day (thank you, thank you!) and the car count is poor :(

The best part is SRF has it's own run group!!! Oh, and speaking of stand alone SRF run groups...the upcoming BFG Super Tour Double National race at Buttonwillow in April is giving SRF it's OWN run group. No more FFs, FVs, or anyone! It is just us, SRF! Let's thank Cal Club for doing that for us by getting a big car count.

I haven't been to Thill in 5-6 years, I am looking forward to it!

See you this weekend
-Mike Miserendino
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 pm
Looking at the SFR schedule, we have a Dbl National this weekend, a Dbl regional 3 weeks later and another Dbl Regional 3 weeks after that. Having a test day or two and "six" (I know they are 3 doubles) races in 6 weeks could be putting a strain on racing $$ / kitchen pass budgets. The cost of a test day and double entry fee makes a weekend expensive, $800 bucks for entries, gas for the weekend, parts, tires, wrecks, etc etc. I understand that the region is scheduling more double race weekends to save them money, but I wonder if it is ending up being counter-productive. On top of the per weekend cost, having expensive weekends all bunched together on the calender may also be discouraging people from coming out.
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:59 pm
The issue isn't the number of double weekends, for a lot of people they will only run doubles. The fixed cost of attending a race is same whether or not it is a single or a double. Our schedule is somewhat dictated by Sears Point, Laguna Seca and the pro events the workers have to support.
It is good for us that the Oregon guys come to our races. It is too bad we don't support theirs more.
Bob
Previous

Return to General Discussions