60th Cumberland National

All things specracer!
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:47 pm
Registration open .

Please join us for the 60th Cumberland National Sportscar Races with bonus nationals and 200.00 restricted regional.

This is a perfect venue to fulfill your need for speed as well as a chance to improve your national point standings. An event sure to please!

Held under SCCA General Competition Rules, Fastrack, and Supplemental Regulations for this event.

Volunteer workers may also register online for this event .

National Entry Fee $ 335.00
Bonus National (must be registered for the national to qualify for bonus races - race groups 1 and 3 only) $135.00
Restricted Regional $200.00
Late Entry Fee-After July 14th $25.00

Registration Hours at Track:

Friday July 27-6:00 pm-9:00 pm
Saturday -7:00 am-11:00 am
Sunday 8:00 am to 10:00 am

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... E3E4B19557

entry form: http://steelcities-scca.org/RoadRaci...Entry_2012.doc
Supps: http://steelcities-scca.org/RoadRaci..._Sups_2012.doc

Bonus groups are:
Group1: EP,FP,HP,GTL,STU
Group3: SM,SSB,SSC,T2,T3,STL
Group7: Restricted Regional (all closed wheel cars NO SRF, Sports Racers and Open Wheel up to track Max 40 cars)
AJ Anselm
E prod BMW 318
Steel-Cities SCCA
Regional Executive
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:10 am
Three Weeks to the Cumberland National, this is a great chance to run one of the longest running amateur race in the country, Sebring is only 4 months older than this event, there is a bonus national for EP, FP, HP, GTL, STU. For those that have heard that sound was going to be 95 db, have gotten that sorted out we will be using normal 103db at 50' from track surface 95db is at track property limit.
AJ Anselm
E prod BMW 318
Steel-Cities SCCA
Regional Executive

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:48 am
In another example of questionable groupings, they've put us in with C and DSR, and S2000. At every other NE Division National this year we've had our own group. SRFs should expect to be lapped 3 times. Speed differentials should appproach 40 mph. I've written asking if there is any flexibility in the grouping, and suggested two other options beyond our having our own group. No response so far, so I thought I'd share. Attendance at this event is looking pretty weak. I don't think I'll go under these circumstances.

Michael Hausknecht (NE #60)

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:50 am
Amazingly stupid grouping.

We ran in qualifying with S2000 at the RunOffs last fall and were originally scheduled to race with them as well until enough of us raised cain over the grouping so that we were (grudgingly) given our own race.

Personally, I will not enter a race in which SRF is grouped with C/D/S2 - there are plenty of other events - and plenty of regions that understand how dangerous that grouping is. C/D/S2 belongs with FA etc - not with SRF.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:35 pm
I wrote the Chief Steward and expressed my concerns. My initial calculations were off; SRFs should expect to be lapped every 5 laps, for a total of six times (yeah, track is short, only 1.5 miles). Upshot is, he acknowledged the grouping is "not the most desirable", and then said they've done it before (I assume without killing anyone) and don't plan on making any changes. I responded that I won't be entering.

Among other things, this sort of stuff is why the SCCA is floundering. We are customers and we have choices about how we spend our time and money.

Michael Hausknecht (NE #60)

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:04 am
Interesting - They have a wings group with a single car (an FE) so it's not like their wings&things is exactly over-subscribed.

Why would anyone think that it's a good business decision to put a class that generates 15% of national entries in a group that deters SRF participation because it is (a) dangerous and (b) guarantees them a race that is shortened by several laps? :?:

Very strange thought process.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:00 pm
Is it correct to say that compatibility (on track) between classes comes down to speed differential, weight differential, and whether their tires stick out or not? I can see why open wheel folks do not want to be on track with people who have a different risk profile for contact. And we probably fit best with Miatas, but their classes are always packed.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 pm
The GCR allows a fairly wide variety of class mixes - largely because there is a very wide variety of venues and participation levels for different classes around the country. It is technically "legal" to run SRF with almost anything except big bore GT. Most commonly, SRF is grouped with various small sedan type cars (ITxx, SM, E/F/H Prod, GTL, etc). And we fit in fairly well with those classes from the perspective of lap time and top speed.

Using track records on the Sebring 12 Hour Course as a reference point, the various IT classes run from 2:30 (ITR) to 2:48 (ITC) while SM is a 2:35 and the various prod classes run from 2:26 (EP) to 2:37 (HP) and GTL is 2:28. SRF is a 2:31 - which fits right in. By contract DSR is a 2:02 and CSR is a 1:58 (the Audi Prototypes were running 1:4x's in the 12 Hour) - so a good CSR is a heck of a lot closer to an Audi Prototype than it is to an SRF.

SRF belongs either (a) by itself or (b) with the various smaller sedan classes. It is unnecessarily dangerous to run us with other sports racers (ask Tom Burt and Tim Gray) and, since we are so much slower than they are, it shortens our races unfairly in lap distance races (ie 10 laps - as opposed to a fixed time race - ie 30 minutes). In addition, when the SRF field is being lapped many times by an overall leader, an FCY amounts to a random separation of the field potentially leaving cars that were in contact with each other separated by a full lap.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm
no doubt Mr. Hill has it correct.
While the Chief Steward has the power to change the situation; you might send the event chairperson a note letting them know why you and most other SRFs are not participating. Every event chair has to be concerned about the event budget, and this grouping decision is impacting the revenue side of that equation. That might just have an impact.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:07 pm
LeeHill wrote:DSR is a 2:02 and CSR is a 1:58 (the Audi Prototypes were running 1:4x's in the 12 Hour) - so a good CSR is a heck of a lot closer to an Audi Prototype than it is to an SRF.

:shock:

Return to General Discussions