SCCA's First Event at Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP)

All things specracer!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm
This is what is becoming the norm, making "Country Club" tracks for street cars. Race cars are not going to be able to compete on these types of circuits. This sounds like it doesn't even come close to being able to hold a racing event. Let the street car "Country Cub" guys have their facilities, race cars need real race tracks. Without all of the testing that race teams do, it will be interesting to see if AMP will survive for 2 or more years. Most tracks are booked over 300 days a year with mostly testing during the week. I have not been to AMP so this is my thoughts from other tracks that I have been to that are built for street cars.

I have been told the the new track by New Orleans is a real race track, so that might be a place for us to go for a new facility. The problem there is the local SCCA region only runs Autocrosses and they dont' know how to run a race event!! Atlanta region could really help them out and do a double event to show them the ropes. Kinda like they do at Barber, which is a great event! Just thinking here...

Two types of circuits for 2 different types of high speed drivers.
Mick Robinson
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 pm
The track itself is one of the better "club" tracks and I have driven many. It's sad that they chose to build it in an area that required this tight of a sound control, but they did. And they knew that going in. If they rely on rental groups to survive then they may not make it. I was told they don't. But that has a PR spin for sure.

I do know that several auto MFG's have been using it since it opened. The only reason I care at all is its 35 min from my house!
Tray
SRF3 7 - Atlanta Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 pm
bob gardner wrote:Sounds like you Southeast guys will have the joyous experience of using a "Laguna" type muffler. We have to make an 90 dB sound window first session in the morning and last session fo the day. I think Dave posted a picture of the "Laguna" set up. Yes, it is legal and can be obtained through your CSR.

I find it hard to understand why Laguna has such a tight sound limit. It was built on an Army base far from the nearest neighborhood ... and it has natural sound barriers that should help with sound control. What happens when Grand Am comes? Do they make an exception on certain weekends?
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 pm
Moto GP also races at Laguna. They are really loud!
Tray
SRF3 7 - Atlanta Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 am
Laguna is in a county park surrounded by some very expensive homes. The sound control is operated by the county with SCCA workers looking on. The county allows a limited number of open sound days at the track these are used for the pro events like Moto GP, ALMS, Historics. The SCCA because it provides works for the pro events get special sound days for their events. The sound windows 8:00 to 9:00 = 90 dB; 9:00 to 10:00 = 101 dB; 10:00 to 3:00 = 103 dB; 3:00 to 4:00 = 101 dB; 4:00 to 5:00 = 90 dB. There are only SCCA classes that can meet the 90 dB sound window with mufflers are SRF and SM...so at each Laguna event we get to alternate which group get to have the first session of the day. The racing school and the clubs that can afford to rent the track for club events are stuck with a 90 dB sound window. There are times that SRF and SM have a hard time meeting the 90 dB sound window. This is in the early morning when there is a low cloud ceiling...think fog. Also the sound booth is loacted on the uphill climb from turn 5 to turn 6. We exit turn 5 at the top of 3rd gear and shift to 4th near the sound booth.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm
Oh, that's makes more sense .... different readings required at different hours. I knew they closed the Army base, but didn't know it was now a park. Thanks for the info.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:07 pm
Tray wrote:Bob,

I doubt most will bother to mess with AMP because of this sound rule. In the tracks view they are worth the effort, but reality is there are lots of other options in the area some better then AMP.

The track sound limit is 98 db. Period.... That is what they are allowed to operate up to. They face being shut down beyond that. They have many sound measuring locations on each side of the track out of and into corners. (unlike SCCA) You truly have to be below there levels everywhere or they pull you. They will not allow "turn downs" either. Sound readings are taken 50 feet away from any angle.

They did not have all of there sound stations setup when we were there. They usesd a front straight hand held meter to identify cars that may be beyond the sound rule. Yes it was closer then 50' but they were also allowing more then 98 on that meter. But they were not consistent at all. Prob because they had to error on side of pull him in vs shutdown. They will be better, they have to be even for the members.

I hope the can stinger muffler (Portland style) will work for us. Without it we were just over the limit on the meter 50' from track. This was coming out of a 2nd gear corner where RPM's were very high. So I'm hopeful.... I know the "Laguna" style will work!

When Portland repaved and slightly widnend the track it moved our sound station. Suddenly our pickup was no longer 50' from the track. It sounds like AMP is being inconsistent on how they measure sound. There are typically no restrictions on how many places you can measure but there has to be a sound (no pun intended) methodology stated in City/County/State or some other set of reference rules on how it is measured or it will not hold up in court.

Interestingly SCCA says 50' from the racing *surface*. Oregon state regulations say 50' from the racing *line*. To technically meet state regs we could have our sound pickup about 20' from the track surface bawsed on where the racing line is at that part of the track, but since that would cause a flurry of protests and we like (some of) our Stewards :D we adhere to the GCR.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:57 pm
Todd

Portland must have changed their sound rules. It's been a while since I was there, but no way were the rules tight like the appear to be now.

AMP is so new I give them a big break on the how and where for now. Only street cars had been on the track for the first month. Behind a pace car to let the track cure. Slow and controlled. We were re first "event" and the members had only one or two weekends to push the sound limits. The members I know (outside of one fellow SRF driver) are not racers and would not blow sound in a open header anything. So the tracks first sound test was us. We failed! But so did they and I hope the at least get consistent. I'm told they will.
Tray
SRF3 7 - Atlanta Region
Previous

Return to General Discussions