Sears Point Dbl. Rational with Test Day

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:23 pm
I know, and its really true down here too. Checking this morning, that is a two edge sword for us as a Region. As a spec racer, I feel (and get) a lot of pressure from other racer classes who have to race in groups of 50 plus-fun for us but not necessarily for other groups with a wide disparity in performance. SRF enjoyed the privilege of one-class racing because it was the largest, but the Miatas are now. If group 5 and group 7 get put in a position where we have to turn away entrants (and as you well know, a season budget is calculated with entry fees against fixed costs and an educated projection of attendance to break even) I am worried about the fallout. But its also true it is difficult to find cars we can run with well that are part of the "popular" classes.

Aside, let your folks know, the RDC (Racing Drivers' Club) will host a Friday morning ride along for out-of-region or first timers at Sears racers. Probably me (if I can keep that POS Audi running long enough) and some others on the RDC Board. Look forward to racing with you all again.

tony
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Tony,
If you look at the group numbers you are correct, we are the lowest group, but if you look at the class numbers we are still number 2. We're up to 26 now which put us ahead of ITA.
May be a solution to the max entry issue is to move the SM Festival to Thunderhill which will accommodate larger race group numbers.
BTW, as a Board member, may be you can get answer this. Why is the SM group getting a free BBQ dinner and the SRF group didn't for its Festival?
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:19 pm
Not sure about the BBQ. I suspect it may be a combination of the SM guys being nicer than us and also, most Spec Racers are vegetarians. Actually, I just put a call into the office for a definitive answer which may come back as something mundane like someone or some group donated it. No doubt we (meaning all of us as a group) could arrange one for SRF next year at Festival if it was a consensus good thing to do. Some of the "fun" things we've tried this year like podium and have not been embraced.

Absolutely, you are correct about groupings. What we seem to be seeing across the sport - we just spent time last week looking as those stats on a regional basis- is a long term decline in purpose built race cars vs. production based. Everything in group 2 and 4 (open wheel) is a negative. Only ITA, SMT, and SRF grew to statistically significant degree.

Spec Racer Ford is a net per race gain of 4.7 cars this year, which as a purpose built, makes me all the more admiring of the spec racer business model; It does not help explain to some racer why he has to share the track with 69 other cars or worse, had his entry declined.

tony
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:11 pm
Tony, With regards to the BBQ: I couldn't find where I saw it, but it was an announcement for the SM Festival that mentioned the BBQ was a Region provided dinner.
Is the 70 cut off based on the 25 cars/mile rule or does it include the 10% Steward option? DC Region had this problem a few years back at Summit Point and they created an SMX class for the overflow. They gave preference to those who were regional members to run in the primary group so their points would not be affected. Meanwhile those of us that were just coming for the event and to race the track had someplace to play.
Bob
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:33 pm
believe it is per mile but also with the bump as far as I know- but the problem is where would you put the overflow? Group 5, the IT, ST, steel fendered catch-all is very booked - making a number up, we need to have 40 SRFs to not stick out-
tony
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:41 am
Tony, I wouldn't worry about registration until the end of the weekend. Over the last several years it's been fairly normal to see a big bump in participants during the last weekend before the race. Money? Procrastination? Getting permission from the significant other? Who knows, but that appears to be how it works.

On another note, glad to see you've got the car back together and you'll be running at Sears Point. And what's that about the Audi ... did you try to Solo it again?

See you next week ... in my mirrors.

Rich (I'm not Hal and I'm not the Stig but I wish I was one or the other) Kenny
#33 San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:21 am
I just tried to upload an SF region charity flyer PDF but got a 'not allowed' admonition (and I am awkward at this fund raising sort of thing) so here goes: the SF Region is supporting a local organization for this event and has pledged to match up to $500, so...

... when you fill out your log book this weekend, it would be great if you could attach a check made out to "Redwood Empire Food Bank" or just slip in a few bucks. Give it to Race admin when you register. Your donation will be channeled through 'Speedway Children's Charity' (Race Admin will make sure it does as this -important- as the community service arm of Sonoma Raceway). REFB are Charity Navigator 4 star rated in that everything goes to the kids, almost zero is administration, so every five bucks equals twenty bucks in food.

If anyone would like to know more or is curious about background (I think this is a first for us) on why the Region BoD pledged to support this, PM me or hit me up at the track.

tony
Previous

Return to General Discussions