Opinions on AIM Solo?

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:05 pm
I need to replace my aging and cantankerous Hot Lap. Looking at the AIM Solo to capture lap times, pick up predictive lap feature. Anyone with experience with this unit? Interested in knowing if it can survive a test day on one battery charge and if it has any negatives, in your opinion.

Thanks!

Rich Kenny
#33, San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:15 pm
I have one, bought it just this year. Easy to use, very small, and magnetically attaches, so easy to take off to charge, etc. I haven't used all of its features yet, but the timer and predictive time work fine, and are easily seen while driving. It should have no problem with a test day, and maybe 1/2 of the rest of the weekend if you need it before a charge. I have downloaded and looked at the data one time, and just didn't spend enough time to figure out what it was saying. For the price, its worth it, in my mind.
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
95, 950
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 pm
I just got one and like it. Charged it up with the USB, stuck it on the dash, hit the ON button and it locked right in on Road America and started showing lap and sector times. At the end of the session it realized I had stopped and showed the top three laps and then self-powered down. Pretty nice to not have to deal with timing lights. The software is PC based, so I have not yet explored the software (as I was tracking with a MacBook).
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:59 pm
(From I-5) Both Lee ad Frank Valemte have them. I have been messing with Lee's and it is pretty cool. Battery life is good, but you do have to charge it. ;) They are compatible with the Aim daq systems a lot of us use. A big benefit for you Rich is it is compatible with your Smartycam.
You can power it from the car, but we just charge it frm the ISN port by leaving it connected after download.
A major benefit is that it's pretty much one button operation. You turn it on, it finds any track within3 miles. When you hit 10 km/hr it starts recording. Type screen is very easy to see and you can design your own pages.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:01 pm
My android changed USB to ISN.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:30 pm
Thanks to all for the feedback. Looks like it will do what I want with minimal hassle.

Rich
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:33 pm
You can download the manual from their web site.
Dave Harriman
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:13 pm
They are pretty sweet and I'm hoping that with the new ECU that's in the works it will be even better (as in it will download all the engine data too)

I have a regular and a DL on the shelf for the first time in many months. They are disappearing as fast as anything I've ever sold.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 pm
cooleyjb wrote:They are pretty sweet and I'm hoping that with the new ECU that's in the works it will be even better (as in it will download all the engine data too)

I have a regular and a DL on the shelf for the first time in many months. They are disappearing as fast as anything I've ever sold.

I think only the DL will talk to an ECU.
Dave Harriman
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:32 pm
dave wrote:
cooleyjb wrote:They are pretty sweet and I'm hoping that with the new ECU that's in the works it will be even better (as in it will download all the engine data too)

I think only the DL will talk to an ECU.

Correct.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports
Next

Return to General Discussions