http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:55 am
Mounting (glare is from flash)

No tracks in our neighborhood (yet :) )

Good antenna (this is indoors)

Standard Display Page 1

Custom Display Page
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:37 pm
Thanks for the screen shots. Does the predictive feature only key off of lap 2 or does it pick up the fasted lap during a session? I was reading the literature and it stated it was the second lap. Also, is the Start/Finish line pre-set based on the predefine track map or do you need to set while on track?

Bill
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:48 pm
bwatts wrote:Thanks for the screen shots. Does the predictive feature only key off of lap 2 or does it pick up the fasted lap during a session? I was reading the literature and it stated it was the second lap. Also, is the Start/Finish line pre-set based on the predefine track map or do you need to set while on track?

Bill

Both good questions. I assumed it was based on the fast lap, but am probably wrong. That's what you get for actually reading the manual.

There is also a forecast lap time.

It comes with tons of tracks pre-loaded. There is a s/w package called GPS manager you can use to set your own. And you can probably do it with menus, but we tend to be lazy about stuff like that.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:50 pm
Now that I've had a chance to think about it (but still not RTFM :)) I think they probably mean it bases the split times, etc. on the course it records on lap 2?
Dave Harriman

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 pm
I agree, I like simple. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Aim when I was directed to something call the QStarz. After getting through the poorly translated website I learned it didn't have the pre-loaded track maps and it required you to set Start/Finish while on track and you couldn't go over 25MPH! Not sure that is such a good feature.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:38 pm
bwatts wrote:I agree, I like simple. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Aim when I was directed to something call the QStarz. After getting through the poorly translated website I learned it didn't have the pre-loaded track maps and it required you to set Start/Finish while on track and you couldn't go over 25MPH! Not sure that is such a good feature.

We have one that is like that. Easily identified by driver's cursing. "Forgot to hit the **** button again!" :)
Dave Harriman
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 am
Dave,

Thanks for the photos and additional info. Looks like I'll have to talk to the Bank of Katie so I can get one on order.

Rich
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:52 pm
One of the good things about it is that the output is fully compatible with the other AIM products. I was able to overlay my AIM MXL Pista laps with the output from Frank Valente's Solo DL and get good lap comparisons. Did need to do some minor tweaking to align the laps and ranges, but otherwise it was accurate right out of the box. Especially useful for comparing speed/lateral/longitudinal G's. The DL is also compatible with the SmartyCam. One change I would make is to upload the same GPS lap marker for a track so that laps are aligned; the stock Laguna one provided by AIM is at a strange location on the track. If you decide to buy one I'm happy to share some of my data.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:04 pm
A couple of other points - Predictive lap time is based on best lap in the session (you start getting predictions after your first lap.) Also, I'm not sure if you need the DL Vs. the vanilla Solo as they seem to have the same capabilities and software. Since there are no ECU connections in the SRF that the Solo DL can work with, the vanilla Solo may be adequate. Then again, if when we get a new ECU, hopefully it will have a standard connection (e.g. CAN-BUS) that will allow engine data to be collected, which would make it worth it to purchase the DL vs. the vanilla Solo.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:53 pm
Thanks Bob. I'll be looking for your data at Infineon ...

I ordered the non-DL version since I'm not so much interested in what's happening with the engine (as long as it's working) but rather looking for input to refine my driving. At first I thought I really needed RPM's (which would be a good reason to get the DL) so I could use the tach to monitor performance in/out of turns. Then it occurred to me that the Solo would give me MPH and I could use that instead of RPMs to get the same real-time info. If and when we upgrade ECU's I'll see what's available at that time and just tell the Bank of Katie that it's all part of the cost!

Rich
#33, San Francisco Region
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions