High Plains Raceway this past weekend

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:25 pm
Hot. Dry. Altitude...y. And did I mention hot?
It was hotter in Deer Trail, Co than it was in Dallas this past weekend (my wife made sure I knew this fact at every possible opportunity).

While we only had 12 SRF's (11 showing on the final sheet), that may well be the largest field at that track to date. We had five Texans (yeehaw!), four from Colorado, one from Nebraska and one from California.

It was hot. Yep, I repeat that because holy cow was it hot. The cars ran hot. The drivers ran hot. The women... well, there weren't enough of them for my taste, but you get the gist.
I didn't remember this track eating up rear tires the way it did this time around, but it did. I made the mistake of not ordering any tires since I thought for sure I'd make it through the weekend easily. I made it, but not easily.

No big long race recaps, but Keith Verges and I proved yet again that neither of us can escape the other's gravity well apparently. On Saturday he had the pole, I led the first half of the race, then he got by me and led to the checkered. He built up a bit of a lead but I caught him for the last 3 or 4 laps. I made a couple of pass attempts but couldn't make them stick and I didn't have the oomph (first weekend on new motor) to get him on the straight. I was having some minor shifting issues and that was also hurting me in the 2nd gear corners (there are two of them at HPR). Another solid win by Keith!

On Sunday we swapped starting positions with me on the pole. Both days we had a decent gap back to the 3rd place starter. KV and I went two wide through T1, T2, and then we both lifted for T3 (essentially a kink that's flat out unless you are 2-wide) so we could make it through cleanly. On Sat we both stayed in it side by side into T3 and he ended up in the dirt - this was discussed and we both decided to play it differently on Sunday. Hindsight being 20/20, instead of both lifting for T3, we should have been single file. Next time. Anyway, Mark Hutchens got by Keith and ran 2nd for a lap until Keith got back by him. I had maybe a 1 second lead at that point and was able to stretch it to somewhere between 2 and 2.5 seconds by the middle of the race. The races were a full 40 minutes which is long for a national. Did I mention it was hot?
About mid race I backed off a touch when I could feel my tires going off and that was all Keith needed. He slowly reeled me in and then, sensing blood in the water, he made up the last second or so in the last three laps, taking the one to go right on my tail. I managed to hold him off for the win, but again, we were essentially dead even.
Tim Blakeley finished a strong 4th both days - way to go Tim! I think he had a shot at the podium and came up a lap or two short on Sunday (Keith is saying the same thing :) ).

In my opinion, one of the most interesting things about this season has been the ridiculous battle between Keith and I.
To date, we have run 7 nationals against each other across three tracks, splitting them 4 and 3 (and each finishing 2nd in the others). Over ALL 7 races, that's some 4 hours of racing, the total differential between us is .19 seconds.
That makes for some fun racing.

Denny

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 am
....."I didn`t have enough oomph (first weekend on a new motor.) I didn`t have enough oomph down the straight on my new rebuild the first time out either. Normal for the first time out for a new motor or a new rebuild?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 pm
Stu - that is normal for Denny. He has never run a race where something didn't slow the car up - engine, tires, shifter, ECU, brakes, tranny, brakes, brakes, brakes AND 100 pounds of dirt on the car - it is a miracle and testament to his supreme driving abilities that he wins so many races (or is 2nd) when he always (always!!!) has the doggiest car in the field - according to him. He has been, and shall always be, my hero!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:45 pm
Yes, I blame my success this season on a terrible car, Clay ;)
My car has been great this season (and last season, and the one before that...) - loving it. The motor comment was just based on empirical evidence from last weekend. Non-synth oil and a tight, new motor along with crazy high temps ... perhaps she'll develop longer legs down the road. :) Just sayin'...

What you're referring to is me never being 100% happy with my pace, and for that I am unapologetic. There is always at least a little bit more out there. :)
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:46 pm
Stu,
Yes, there are those who believe that once a motor breaks in, it *may* develop a bit more power. That includes the move from dino oil during the break-in period to synth.
I have my fingers crossed, at least. :)
Denny

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:33 am
Denny, I hope you`re right. I was way off the pace last time out and I am a little concerned. I am going from break-in oil to 20/50 for a few hours before synthetic.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:24 am
All readers - I hope everyone knows that I (and others ((like Kramer!))) am only playing with Denny. It is a funny and recurring theme that his car usually needs lots of work when it rolls off the trailer at any given race - in addition to his latest trailer travails which a whole other story by itself. So I am sincere when I say he does a great job with what is usually inferior equipment due to some malady - but somehow with all his thrashing he gets the car sorted out by race time. God help everyone if he ever get his car to 100%.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:03 pm
Clay, no need to add caveats... I think everyone knows that we have a healthy nut-busting culture down here in SOWDIV. With Doug on hiatus, it's quieted down a bit, but it's certainly not dead. ;)
Heck, if Perkins ever posted...

Stu, from my results at HPR, I certainly can *not* say that my car was off the pace. I just didn't quite have the pull off the corners as one of the cars I was running with. If you felt well off the pace, I'd say that's more than just a new motor break-in issue. Have you checked your AFR? If not (or if it's reading way off), next time out, borrow a MAF from your CSR and slap it on the car to see if that makes a difference.
I had a bad a MAF a few years back - 6.5 HP immediately when I changed it. I went from fighting to win races to fighting for 3rd-5th until I changed it. The difference (obviously) was quite noticeable.
Hope you figure it out!
Denny

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Racer X wrote:Stu, Hope you figure it out!
Denny

...and some of us kinda' hope maybe you don't.

H.(not too proud to take a handicap)B.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:48 pm
claysylvester wrote:All readers - I hope everyone knows that I (and others ((like Kramer!))) am only playing with Denny. It is a funny and recurring theme that his car usually needs lots of work when it rolls off the trailer at any given race - in addition to his latest trailer travails which a whole other story by itself. So I am sincere when I say he does a great job with what is usually inferior equipment due to some malady - but somehow with all his thrashing he gets the car sorted out by race time. God help everyone if he ever get his car to 100%.

Never put me in the same group as you, Clay!
What is with the trailer anyway? Denny, did something fall off?
Next

Return to General Discussions