New Glen Track Record

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm
Lee McNeish is too humble to announce it so I will. He set a new track record for the Watkins Glen Long Course this past Sunday at the July Sprints. Lee ran a 2:14.405 on lap 10 or 11 of 12. As you might imagine, the conditions were just about perfect: 9:30 am start time, and sunny and low humidity with temp in the in the upper 70s.

Michael Hausknecht (NE#60)

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:56 pm
Mike - I think Richard Spicer has the track record (at least for National Races) at a 2:13.9xx? He set that 10 years or so ago.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm
Hi Lee,

That is what I remembered too, but the officials gave him credit for a record. I've checked and Richard's record isn't reflected any longer on the NESCCA or Glen Region web sites. I think he did it in 2003; a 2:13.9 something. That was pre-Goodyear, right? Perhaps that might be why they eventually got around to deleting it.

Michael Hausknecht (NE #60)
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:07 pm
Hmmm.....

Watkins Glen lap records are listed by the Glen Region here:

http://www.glen-scca.org/roadracing/records.asp

Updated May 27th 2012, it lists Derek's 2:14.409 lap from 2007 as the long course record, which was nipped by Lee with a 2:14.405.

Like Lee, I do recall a 2:13.9xxx by Richard...but I don't remember if it was an SRF Pro race or a national. I also recall trying for 2-3 years for somebody to change "Richard Spica" to "Richard Spicer". Never happened.

Regardless....Lee and Michael were FLYING on Sunday. They were clearly letting it all hang out...and at one point Lee had a ringside seat for Michael getting uncomfortably close to the wall at the exit of T11 - onto the front straight. Watched it myself from Pit In...yikes....

"Fick-Henge" update (see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=267 ) - Fick arrived on Friday evening....

...bearing "Franken-Nose" (his latest restoration project) on the roof of his tow vehicle. It appears to be the love child of Don Kahn's & Chris Plutas's noses (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I felt guilty for pawning off such battered junk to Fick earlier this spring. For about 3 seconds. Got over it.

JW
(not a visitor to the 15's...much less the 14's.....yikes again !)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 pm
Congrats to Lee! Way to go. Fantastic. Mike: you weren't exactly slow, either -- great job and congratulations on your win.

I believe the unofficial record is Warren Stilwell at a 13.6 something or other years ago -- 1999. It was in a Pro Race race qualifying, on Yoke A008s, 65 degrees, fog/mist, in a two-car draft. Talk about ideal! I can't remember who his drafting partner was.

For Lee to get down to a 14.4 is still freaking amazing.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 pm
My recollection is Richard and Joe Collasaco were fighting for the win at the Glen National - pretty sure that Richard won it - and got the lap record as well. I remember is dad being really tickled. And in another Glen National, around the turn of the century (LOL) I seem to recall running a 2;14.3 while finishing 5th or sixth in a wad of cars that included Chris Dyson, Trevor Hopwood, Andy Bentick-Smith, Richard, and Shawn - I'll have to look thru my data - was certainly in Yoke days - not pro, but National.

At any rate - takes nothing away from Lee or Mike - mid 14's at the Glen is nothin to sneeze at - not many can go that fast. Good job guys - wish I had been there.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 pm
I am happy to recorded my personal best time at the Glenn but was really unaware until after the race as I was barely hanging on to Mike. Must say this lap record stuff seems a little mixed up. I thought the record would be the fastest time ever recorded in a SCCA SRF event whether regional, national, pro, Goodyear, Yoks, updates whatever. Fastest is the fastest until better comes along. What is the story here? Stilwell, Spicer...how could they lose the track record if one or the other posted the best lap?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:44 pm
My congratulations to both Mike and Lee for a fine fast run on Sunday! After the 6 car pile up on Saturday we all that were left were glad for a nice clean fast race on Sunday morning. My additional thanks to Bill Watts for spinning in turn 1 so I could follow him for the balance of the race to make me go much faster.
The "Franken" nose was delivered and is currently resting on Long Island on its eventual way to Philadelphia as a backup nose for a fellow SRF'er. I got alot of looks Friday nite pulling in with it on my Envoy for sure! I am resurrecting Chris's nose following Chris Pluta's Saturday spin/accident using pieces of his hood and Jeff Swann's ( Black Swan Racing) - thank you Jeff :) . PS - you gotta love the dust and smell :)
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:22 pm
Anybody remember what tires we were running back in 2004? Btw, do the tires matter as far as track records go? Almost forgot, congratulations Lee on a job well done.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:24 pm
Congrats to Dr. Pain!
Next

Return to General Discussions