SRF NEWS

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:38 pm
Bruce - at 180hp, better brakes, etc it sounds an awful like an S2000.

At any rate, "Cubic Dollars" to operate will end up going way up - and (personal opinion) I'm an old fart that just doesn't want to go that fast.

Remember energy to dissipate in a crash has an exponential relation to velocity and I really don't want to be the test dummy.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm
BFun wrote:Aren't the FE MRZ and FF Fit using esentially factory crate motors for the bottom end with the equalization happening with the spec intake, ECU, and maybe restrictor? So why "must be taken apart and rebuilt as a race motor, at least bearings and rod bolts" + "all built with love and dyno'ed to within 1.5%". Don't get upset, just asking.

The FE motor IS taken apart and updated with bearings and rod bolts...and completly replumbed for oil flow. As are all similar programs. Head gaskets may be changed for tuning and cam timing adjusted. Same thing here.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:26 pm
Chris Taylor wrote:I like that Butler piece, how much does it run? How does it install?

I'm not sure what it costs. We installed mine more than 3 years ago. At that time, I seem to remember it was around $400.

It is designed to work with the fiberglass seat. You remove the standard headrest and down tube padding. Clamps attach it to the down tubes.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
None
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:50 pm
peterjank wrote:
Chris Taylor wrote:I like that Butler piece, how much does it run? How does it install?

I'm not sure what it costs. We installed mine more than 3 years ago. At that time, I seem to remember it was around $400.

It is designed to work with the fiberglass seat. You remove the standard headrest and down tube padding. Clamps attach it to the down tubes.

Any issues with the Butler head restraint impacting your head position with a Hans? How is visibility out of the car?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:10 pm
I did not have any problems with my HANS or visibility. However, the Butler head restraint does make it a bit harder to get in and out of the car. You need to get your shoulders forward of the "horse collar" before you can begin standing up to get out of the car.

Also, I found my invoice for the install. It was installed March, 2010 and cost $465.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 pm
Current price is right around 500. Install looks pretty darn easy. Collars on the main bar going forward from the hoop. First just past the small triangulating bar and the second about 12" past that one.

Couple of tools is all you need.

As Peter mentions it changes the exit of the car and if you have a bead seat like I do you might want to change your position.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 pm
Regarding the AEM ECU, will it run ODBII or CAN/RS232 protocol? I just ordered a Solo DL to run with my SmartyCam. I guessed and picked the ODBII version assuming that I could also use it in a production car.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:23 pm
Erik Skirmants wrote:The FE motor IS taken apart and updated with bearings and rod bolts...and completly replumbed for oil flow. As are all similar programs. Head gaskets may be changed for tuning and cam timing adjusted. Same thing here.

OK, thanks for clarifying.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:43 pm
LeeHill wrote:Bruce - at 180hp, better brakes, etc it sounds an awful like an S2000.

At any rate, "Cubic Dollars" to operate will end up going way up - and (personal opinion) I'm an old fart that just doesn't want to go that fast.

Remember energy to dissipate in a crash has an exponential relation to velocity and I really don't want to be the test dummy.

Well that's an old price (and so maybe not a very fair comparison to the upcoming re-engined SR?), and Steve may no longer even be interested in doing anymore now that he has his G2 out. But a SRF is much heavier and more rugged than a S2, and the new hubs and brakes are more available & stronger & probably cheaper than our obsolete Renault bits. So based on that I would not expect any big reliability, safety, or cost issues.

My 20 something nephew came out to Barber. And he was really enthusiastic about the SRF until he found out the cost and power. That's when he started talking ITA or Spec Miata. At some point were going to start running out of old farts, just like we are running out of obsolete Ford & Renault parts.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:14 am
Bruce,

Curious about you nephew's reaction. While SM power is better, lap times are about the same or slower here on the left coast due to weight. Also, it seems SM cost is higher due to blueprinted engines and higher cost of body repairs. About the only thing that's cheaper is the cost of rubber. How is it that your nephew reads it the other way? I agree that it's a big deal because we definitely need to build more entry level participation.

Speaking as a fellow old fart, of course,

Rich Kenny
#33, San Francisco Region
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions