Is SRF really safe?

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:58 pm
Anyone else notice that the tintop driver still has the safety pin in the "FIRE" pull handle? It would certainly have added a level of complexity to his roll over if he had needed to use it.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 am
WhatsThatNoise wrote:For video #1 (SRF car ramp video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvnuiKlzCg

Take foot off brake & TURN!

Like this guy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5Pxh8p4ew#!

You're supposed to turn LEFT, 'king Hiro, LEFT!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 pm
I would like to thank the fellow racers that called me after my crash at the not so fun one to see how i was doing.What the hell was the Finger Lakes region thinking when they put that tank at the end of the srf split start?What class was he in and was he just racing himself for the big prize.This is the reason the srf car count keeps dropping for the fun one.Saturdays race was a good clean race i got down in the lowe 2.14.500 my best time at the glen and a 5Th place and all was good with the world then came Sunday.i think the flagger was very slow with the green flag on the start of the race.On the start i got hit in the rear just before turn one from a srf that jumped the very late green flag i went spinning into turn one and ended up sideways on the exit of the turn.As i sat there watching all the srf going by me on both sides i thought i had it made but then i see the tank coming straight down the middle coming straight for me.The next thing i remember is driving down the back strait with a lot of pain on my left side so i brought my car in and drove it to my trailer.When i got out i looked back and my tail was gone and the left rear wheel was bent in i do not remember the impact or starting my car and driving away.I loaded up and got the hell out of their and spent the next day in my locale hospital with a broken shoulder blade and some ribs its getting better but i still have half strength in my left arm.All my years racing asphalt and dirt midgets i never got this beat up i would love to know what happened in my car during the crash.I hope with all the responses on this problem the finger lakes region changes the way they run a race and not put profit before the safety of the drivers.SRF are very safe when racing with comparable weighed cars but they are not designed to survive a high speed crash with a car 800 to a 1000 pound heavier it will totally destroy the car and driver.I hope the scca gets the message and try to class the cars according to weight and speed before somebody gets hurt really bad.I hope more srf drivers give south jersey a try they go out of their way for us and run srf only test day and racing weekends.Thanks Joe Doyle #64 :shock:

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 pm
Hope you have a speedy recovery Joe. I am going to NJMP in 2 weeks for the first time, see you next year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 pm
As a registrar, if you choose not to attend a race because of the class groupings, please let someone from the host region know. The region can't fix the problem if they don't know why you didn't attend.

Also, try bringing 12-15 of your SRF buddies to an event with you. In MiDiv, we'll do everything we can to give you a group of your own. At the very least, chances are you'll have a split start.

Glad to see both drivers involved in the event pictures above were okay. Those pictures were quite vivid!

Kelley Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
DMVR
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:52 am
Joe:

Sorry to hear of your injuries and I hope to see you back out there next season. As you can see from this thread, there are plenty of us who feel grouping with much heavier cars has been proven to be a dangerous cocktail and must cease. I'm skipping the NJMP regional for this reason and know others who are, too. Next season I'm planning on running more Nationals and fewer regionals if the grouping problem isn't sorted out by then.

Kelly: we'll try contacting the regions to get the groupings rectified, but that's often not a viable option as regions will usually do whatever they can to goose up race entries in an environment where the door slammers rule the roost. We simply don't count in that equation, For example, we had more than 20 Spec Racers at the Fun One where Joe got injured and that had no effect on our getting separately grouped and even then we had to lean on the chief steward to get a split start that STILL had the heavier SPU cars starting with us and one of them hit Joe.

Separate grouping for Spec Racer at all events has to be mandated at the national level, not on a regional basis.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:28 pm
Bob I thought at the upcoming regional at NJMP we are by ourselves no?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:46 am
Know what, Cookie, you're right. I looks like we do have a separate group for that one. That might change my mind.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:23 am
WOW!!!
I saw some pictures from the FLR race and the Race at LimeRock where the porsche jumped the SRF.

Well....I am still buying one before next season!!

I just did my first Drivers School Friday 10/5 at WGI, got signed off, and did the Regional race.
The SRF was so much more fun that I thought it would be, and the two other SRF guys that were running were very nice.

So in NJMP the place to be for SRF racing?
Looks like they did have a full SRF run group at WGI in July 2012 though?

Glad everyone is ok!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 am
One of my other projects is getting a 1967 Pontiac GTO ready for running next year with the HRG as well. I could let someone borrow it if they wanted to go scare the Porsches :P
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions