All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:48 am
"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!" - Sun Tzu
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:55 am
Also, Happy Birthday to the United States Marine Corps! (although I may be a day late on that one)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:31 pm
Thanks so much for the nice thoughts, except I'd amend that sentiment to "Regard soldiers, sailors and marines as your children..."

(Just speaking for myself and Jim Ellinger, there.)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 pm
That is from the "Art of War", maybe 1000 years old? I don't think they differentiated back then. I am not about to mess with the words of an ancient warrior general. I'm assuming everyone understands it applies to all branches; Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marines. Also both men and women.
How about this one that I used on the Spec Racer Facebook page?
"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton
Dave Harriman
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:51 pm
dave wrote:That is from the "Art of War", maybe 1000 years old? I don't think they differentiated back then. I am not about to mess with the words of an ancient warrior general. I'm assuming everyone understands it applies to all branches; Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marines. Also both men and women.
How about this one that I used on the Spec Racer Facebook page?
"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

No biggie. Comes from hearing people over the years describe Navy people as being "soldiers." Same people who call destroyers and aircraft carriers "battleships." I'm sure you're not among that group and thanks again for the good wishes.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:13 pm
True words.....it took me forever to stop calling ships, "boats" and calling Marines "sailors".

I served for a while at Camp LeJeune, and the Navy is in the minority there. The marines welcomed us wholeheartedly. God bless them.

Lots of tradition and respect in the military......and a great bunch of people!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
608-1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm
Bob Devol wrote:(Just speaking for myself and Jim Ellinger, there.)

Way to go Bob, keep'em honest! Now, if you could just do something about correcting Army and Air Force people when they call me Colonel. I have to admit though, that as an Aviator, that large metal object that we land on to get gas and a box lunch will always be the "boat"!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:57 pm
Obviously, we are not a GI-inclined group or there would also be discussion of "rifle" vs. "gun". ;)
Dave Harriman
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 am
Jim Ellinger wrote:
Bob Devol wrote:(Just speaking for myself and Jim Ellinger, there.)

Way to go Bob, keep'em honest! Now, if you could just do something about correcting Army and Air Force people when they call me Colonel. I have to admit though, that as an Aviator, that large metal object that we land on to get gas and a box lunch will always be the "boat"!

It was "the boat" for the surface Navy, too, no matter what the size. (Kinda like how some of us call "helmets" "hats.") Although, before I was transferred to Armed Forces Radio and Television, I was indeed serving on "boats" -- vessels that can fit inside bigger vessels (ships). Freakin' McHale's Navy, that was...

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 am
Dave - being a GI I certainly remember "this is my rifle this is my gun - this is for fighting this is for fun". How many other grunt veterans of Vietnam are in our group? There is Hal Holliday and myself here in the SW division. Of course that makes us some of the oldest geezers in SRF!!
Next

Return to General Discussions