New Rotors, FasTrack, Test Driver Commentary

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:00 pm
Seems to me that enterprises can tune the new engines to 110 HP and reduce weight limit by 25# (of the 50# lower engine package) which would add another HP or so. That would be about an 8% HP increase net. In my opinion a good compromise between those of us who don't want any HP increase and the wanna go faster crowd.

Also, I have always advocated buying from the CSRs or Enterprise. Buying rotors cheaper saves a few bucks but without cash flow the CSRs have to raise prices and enterprises needs to introduce new stuff (wheels, brakes, etc.) that are lighter and a must have to be competitive. So when you guys buy 3rd party you are hurting your own future economics. I have always considered paying the CSR more part of the deal to be in the best racing class ever.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:39 pm
I'm not real happy to be spending more money in the near future "but" I won't be moving to any other class anytime soon. My one other gripe is I really don't need to go any faster, I can do enough damage the way it is.
For those considerably less happy than I however, maybe it's time to move on to a more equal, less expensive class like Spec Miata. And lastly, thanks Erik and Company for putting yourself out there and showing us your love for open debate (a little S&M tendency's maybe???).
Last edited by Bill Parenteau on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 pm
I have been noticing the new rotors on at a few races lately and from my observations they work really good. I didn't need to test them as I trust the Three folks I've seen with them to be straight shooters. Well those who want parity need to realize it comes with a price. That is the cost of being in buisness and being at the track. I think for the sake of staying alive every part needs a sticker. I would like to thank Mike Davies, Tray Ayers, Mick Robinson and Erik Skirmants ( probably others too) for doing the homework and making a good part available the first time. All $15 rotors are not equal. If the cost differance between buying rotors from Enterprises Vs. AutoZone gives anyone heartburn, Let me put you in one of my other spec cars, Miata's Or E30. Just make sure you can afford it.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:46 pm
WhatsThatNoise wrote:The fact (apparently) that not all cars have been equal for some time bothers me.
Others have had an unfair advantage because of Brembo rotors.

This should have been fixed long before any engine, ECU, fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump update.
And Enterprise should not be pricing cheap Chinese crap 422% cost ($57.00) for essentially a defective part.

New rotors are passed off as necessary for the increased speed of the new engine and a mandatory update.

Fact is Enterprise isn't getting their 422% because others have been buying rotors around Enterprise for 12-15 bucks.
Enterprise comes out with a mandatory new rotor to get paid and justifies it as parity after getting called on it by me.

...And people are suprised because I'm being so negative.

If we had to buy GoodYears through Enterprise, they would be almost $800 EACH.

Dave,

They *are* addressing the issue with the new rotors and bringing back the "spec" with the new rotors. If Enterprises had the budget of a Penske shop or Ganassi, we could have expected these upgrades (or any upgrades) at a much faster pace, then people would be complaining about the upgrade of the day. Walk thru the changes that have come over the years (I'm sure I'm missing some): brass bushing for caliper sliding pins, SS headers, updated axles, new hubs, new inner CV, lower studs, fuel pressure regulator, new rain tires, new alternators. Some of these came about because Enterprises and CSRs were tracking issues and some because of enough drivers were making noise but Enterprises in the end has to make the decision what to work on when and how to get it out there. And where they can, they seek incremental improvements, not just replacement.

To bring these back into "spec" does mean it has to get bought thru CSRs and Enterprise. $300 for a set of 4 rotors for a RACE CAR is pretty darn reasonable. All things considered Enterprises walks a pretty thin line between selling at cost and not overcharging. Covering their overhead and supporting CSR system is part of the price we have to pay to support for our class.

If you don't like that, try playing in a more "spec" (Hah! :shock: ) class like SM.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:55 pm
Todd SRF73 wrote:If you don't like that, try playing in a more "spec" (Hah! :shock: ) class like SM.

"Other people have it worse", should not be our motto.
Dave Gills
#80 Red/Silver (chassis 504)
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 pm
Other people do have it worse, that is why I appreciate Enterprise and all the hard work they put in to keep the class viable. Even if I don't always agree with Erik, I do not believe he has anything other that the best interests of the class in mind. Enterprise could probably keep us all happy with unlimited funding and no time considerations but do you think we could afford it? Maybe we should ask the US government to step in and run the show, I sure they could do better.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:03 pm
Well, I do have lots of brake drag, and have tried everything to make it better. If you are saying the brembos prevented that (and some still get those), and these rotors will help everyone have the same amount (less) of brake drag, I think the rotor update makes sense. I'm ok with the current amount of brake fade (just a part of racing, I think), and if this was strictly to make that better, I wouldn't agree with them, because ultimately any part can be made better. What I hear is this will make the class even more equal, and I am ok with those types of changes. Now, if we could just raise the weight limit some...;)

FYI, I would also give more explanation on the reasons for change for future forum responses so the masses understand better, thanks.
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 pm
Bring on the new rotors. Thanks to Mike and Eric. You do a great job. The class has continuued to be the best in SCCA largely in part to the leadership of both of you. I listened to all of the same negative retoric when we changed from Renault to Ford. All said and done the class was much improved at that time and i am sure will receive a boost when the new upgrades are done.(In fun and in the value of our cars) Racing in not cheap and never will be. After purchasing the SR, we spend less than any class in SCCA.(Especially with carnage)When we sell our cars we generally get what we paid for them. We are racing in a bad economy. Be thankful.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:40 pm
For someone who was gone for a few years and now starting to come back I am thrilled with the new changes coming to the car. The brake issue has been needed since I started in SRF in 98. Well done to Enterprises. For those of you complaining about cost, this is racing. No one ever said I want to be a race car driver because it's cheap. If you need your jollys go skydiving, that is cheaper and has just as much possibility of disaster striking.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
562-1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 pm
I tested the new rotors during my first two test sessiosn at Sebring this past weekend. I do not have any real data to support my opinions.

Installing the new rotors was a little frustrating getting the piston all the way in and KEEPING IT IN far enough just required that illusive 3rd hand.

I started the session with approximately 1 more full turn of bias towards the rear. By the end of my sessions I had to adjust brake bias towards the rear about 1.5-1.75 turns to eliminate the front lockup.

My initial reaction was "WOW THESE THINGS STOP" During the sessions I continued to move my break points deeper and found that there was always enough bite in the brakes to slow the car down almost instantly at the end of the brake zone. I would assume that since our current brakes have the ability to lock up all of the wheels that the advantage of the new rotors is not to shorten the brake zone, but to eliminate brake fade at the end of the brake zone, and end of the race.

All in all I liked the feel of the new setup. I think the rotors on the car today will be an equalizer because it will eliminate the FADE, but who knows what will happen with "THE CAR OF TOMORROW"

Cliff
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions