WGI National

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am
Although, most of the restaurants around there serve scrapple for breakfast which will negate the fact the curbs and the town sucks. AC is a big bonus too being only 45 minutes away.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:58 am
Well, ok, 111 degrees sucks, and so does blowing motors. The town isn't a resort area, but then neither are many of the towns near race tracks. The curbs aren't an issue for an SRF; you can safely run over most of them. Decreasing radius corners can be fun but I can appreciate they aren't everyone's favorite.

I've only raced at NJMP once, the National last year. We got gobs of track time on the Friday practice day, the facility is comfortable, and the event was well-run. There is plenty of run-off room but, like any race track, opportunities for big messes. The worst thing, I think, is that if a car runs off track, you can end up with a big, thick dust cloud hanging over the track. That is ok, unless there is a car sideways in the middle of the track and in the middle of the dust cloud. The next worst thing, for me anyways, is that it is a 8+ hour drive home, and I still have to figure out how to avoid driving through Philadelphia.

Michael Hausknecht (NE#60)

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:59 am
Yes, getting there is an issue too, driving through NYC and then taking the Jersey TP sucks.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:08 pm
THop wrote:Yes, getting there is an issue too, driving through NYC and then taking the Jersey TP sucks.

True, Trev. I held off racing at NJMP last year until the final regional in late October in the hope that I could avoid the Jersey Shore traffic. Ummmm...not so much, as it turned out.

That said, I'm probably going to suck it up and run the NJMP National in June with the extra race for SRF.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:58 pm
I agree with Mike, and have enjoyed NJMP the last 2 years. Facility is friendly, nice, and easy to spectate at, and I kind of like the fast and slow combo of the track. And I agree with Trevor that getting there is THE issue. Going through/around NYC has been the only problem.
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:08 pm
Steve Introne wrote: Going through/around NYC has been the only problem.

It's the "Ghost of Bridgehampton" !!!

(that should set off Bob D !)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:07 pm
John - I wonder whose car that is in the NelsonRing Vid. Watching it gave me flashbacks of many years racing from May thru the end of October at NL. It is a very fast technical track that is challenging in any weather. The rough turns do give my left arm wanting for some Ben Gay after a long weekend though. Flush toilets and showers are fairly new additions to a fun track. There are still many of the old outhouses that stand like smelly statues and the pics on their website don't show the dust or mud that can accompany a weekend there. But still I wish more had come from the east to experience the track as everyone there is friendly and helpful and lots of track time is usually scheduled. Even Feno experienced the carousel tire wall in his first foray west during one of NYSRRC's Westward Ho weekends... :D
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:24 pm
mark fickenscher wrote:Even Feno experienced the carousel tire wall in his first foray west during one of NYSRRC's Westward Ho weekends... :D

I remember seeing the standing yellows in the Carousel, then seeing the bottom of an SRF and a helmeted "Red Power Ranger" standing on top of the tire wall, and I wondered "Who the hell is THAT ?". Mikey had picked that weekend to retire his ratty old blue nomex, and was modeling his brand-new red nomex ! New and improved, with "frog snot" !

BTW...Finger Lakes is back on the schedule with "Westward Ho" at the Ledges in June, after skipping a year. Yeehar.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:19 am
John...seems like a bad weekend as the Lime Rock Rational is also scheduled. Would be nice to have alot of entries at LRP. Will miss the pot holes, frogs and outhouses and tire walls.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:12 pm
John Walsh wrote:
Steve Introne wrote: Going through/around NYC has been the only problem.

It's the "Ghost of Bridgehampton" !!!

(that should set off Bob D !)

Yeah, traversing NYC could be a problem with towing to The Bridge. That said, if you can leave early enough, it got way better. I left Greenwich, CT (on the New York State line) at 7:00 AM one Saturday in the early Nineties and arrived at the track gate at 9:50. That trip included driving west to the Throgg's Neck Bridge in NYC, and then heading east the length of Long Island to roughly 1/4 of the way up the South Fork.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions