How do you winch a Spec Racer into a trailer?

Technical and Repair Discussions

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:45 pm
If you mount a winch at the front of an enclosed trailer, how do you winch a Spec Racer into the trailer? Where on the car do you attach the winch cable so as not to damage the car? If you mount on the roll hoop, doesn't the winch cable end up hitting the top of the nose as the car makes its way up the ramp/door and into the trailer?
Scott Ross

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:29 pm
Not that it answers your question but most drive the car into or onto the trailer. I have a 7x14 enclosed trailer which is really tight clearing the ramp wires but with practice it gets easier. To protect the sides of the car and act as a bumper I slide 4 ft roll bar material over the ramp door wires. If I touch either I am too close on that side.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:47 pm
FWIW we winch the car in backwards and use the frame in the rear to attach the cable.
Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:58 pm
I use an old boat cushion laid on the nose just to keep winch line clear, attach top of roll bar winch on floor in nose of trailer. Trailer is 7x14 box with 3 ft enclosed v nose. If your unsure attach string to roll bar measure how far in front and how high the winch must be to clear.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:00 am
I winch my spec into the trailer with the rear facing the front of the trailer. I use a web strap around the lower frame rail between the shocks. I have a 2X4 positioned as a location stop...just run the car in until the rear tires contact the 2X4...then strap it down.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions