Side head support question

Technical and Repair Discussions

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:29 pm
davep wrote:The Butler head and shoulder restraints are SCCA Enterprise part numbers that you buy from them (not from Butler).

DaveP

9.1.8.C.22.ff allows the head restraint, which I understood as including head & shoulder restraint (see picture from the OP).

I was confused by your previous post were you said you just got shoulder support to add to your head support. That suggested to me that you were getting the Butler bolt on brackets to add to the seat for seperate head & shoulder support. Which aren't clearly OK, but maybe could be argued to be allowed by the 9.1.8.C.22.b Seat modification allowance.

Butler seat supports2.png
Butler seat supports2.png (40.17 KiB) Viewed 5406 times
Last edited by BFun on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:06 pm
The bolt on parts are available from Enterprises as part numbers 180270 (Shoulder extension) and 180271 (Headrest extension). The OP part number 180267 is the Head Restraint System. There are also Leg Extensions (180269). As you noted, C.22.b provides a lot of leeway in modifying the seat for comfort and safety. Buying through Enterprises/CSRs should ensure that there won't be any compliance questions.

Did have a chuckle (panic) my first year at the Runoffs when the Tech Inspector decided the Butler seats were not legal (the GCR that year inadvertently left the Butler out of the allowed list.) Took a little bit of convincing (like more than half the field) to get him allow the car (think someone ended up digging out an older GCR as proof.) Good to know where this stuff resides in the GCR!
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:17 pm
Yes similar issue here, those parts aren't specifically listed in the GCR, and a search of my CSRs website didn't turn them up either. A related question is can you use thes parts (would it be legal) with a non Butler seat? My understanding is that the listed restraint, PN 180267 is intended for use on either the Butler or Standard seats.

These look like an interesting possible option as well.

Butler lateral supports.png
Butler lateral supports.png (96.88 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 am
I installed the Bulter head halo thing over the winter, and just this weekend actually sat in the car. It's definitely going to change my access/egress routine. The side bolsters are much narrower than my shoulders so now I need to scrunch forward or twist 90 degrees to get out. I kind of wish I could reduce the pad thickness in some areas. That said, it certainly feels secure and safer.

Something to think about when upgrading.
Previous

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions