Fuel Cell Life Span is 5 Years

Technical and Repair Discussions

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:34 pm
For those of you who are trying to decide whether to replace your fuel cell when putting in the new in-tank pump, I have included the following excerpt from a product information bulletin that came with my Fuel Safe fuel cell I just put in my car.

"Life Span - Major sanctioning bodies such as FIA, NASCAR, ASA, SCCA, etc. have recognized that fuel cells and related equipment are slowly affected by ozone, ultraviolet, aging and the chemical action of gasoline and racing fuels. Hence, a Five-Year Legal Life Span has been set on all fuel cell bladders. The fuel cell bladder portion of your fuel cell system must be replaced within 5 years of its manufacture date. No repairs may be made to bladders after that 5-year period has elapsed. Upon factory re-inspection a 2-year extension may be granted under FIA & SCCA regulations."

My new cell came with a manufacturing date label of December 2013. It also had a special holographic label with a serial number on it.

If your cell is older than 5 years (or close) you may want to think about replacing it when you do the pump. I am not aware that SCCA has adopted this rule (I did not check), but you may want to check.

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:59 am
That note has been delivered with fuel cells for at least the last 6 years. The GCR does not specify a life-span, only certification to FIA FT-3. We have run into this issue in other sanctioning bodies (e.g. NASA does enforce the 5 year rule.)

9.3.27. FUEL CELL SPECIFICATIONS
All cars must be equipped with a safety fuel cell complying with these specifications, except for Touring, Spec Miata, Improved Touring, produc- tion-based Vintage cars, or as otherwise specified in the GCR. All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT-5, etc.) specifications. Alternatively, safety fuel cells shall be constructed in accordance with FIA FT-3 or higher spec- ifications and tested to those requirements by an independent facility as witnessed and certified by a Professional Engineer. The results of these tests shall be submitted to the Club Racing department for inclusion on a list of approved suppliers. All safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam-filled fuel bladder enclosed in a metal container at minimum.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:33 pm
When they let go, it can happen quickly. I've seen a couple just start dumping out the floor plan at the track with no prior warning...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:04 pm
I had one do just that. I came in to the pits and told the crew that I smelled gasoline. I looked down as I was getting out to notice a puddle under my seat.
Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 pm
jonnywanabe wrote:I had one do just that. I came in to the pits and told the crew that I smelled gasoline. I looked down as I was getting out to notice a puddle under my seat.

Where were you last weekend, Jon? We missed you.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:26 pm
Life got in the way. We were supposed to be at the Area Playoffs for my son's soccer team, but that got postponed over air quality concerns due to the fire in Glendora.
I did bring my son out on Sunday to spectate. Good racing throughout the field!
You coming down in April?
(Apologies for hijacking this thread.)
Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:46 pm
jonnywanabe wrote:Life got in the way. We were supposed to be at the Area Playoffs for my son's soccer team, but that got postponed over air quality concerns due to the fire in Glendora.
I did bring my son out on Sunday to spectate. Good racing throughout the field!
You coming down in April?
(Apologies for hijacking this thread.)

Sorry I missed you guys (I was in a bad mood).

We'll be there.

Also coming for your driver's school in 3 wks.

Dave
Dave Harriman
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:10 pm
I replaced my last one after 14 years.
It was working fine.
Dave Gills
#80 Red/Silver (chassis 504)
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions