Vent hose (cam cover-to-air filter) is weeping oil?

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:06 pm
This is weird. The hose running from the cam cover to the air filter (no clue what it's called) has developed an oily, wet sheen on the OUTSIDE of the hose. I removed it, wiped it clean and re-installed it, but the wet sheen returns after I run the car. It was dry inside the hose. I'm not really worried about it, but more than a little curious.

I was suspecting condensation (the garage is about 45-50 degrees), but that would happen if the hose was colder than surroundings. If anything wouldn't it be warmer?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:47 pm
Greg: I was doing some cleaning and housekeeping around my engine and found the same thing - believing its condensation related too but with my engine so old I am sure oil vapors have condensed around most of my stuff surrounding the engine. I wiped it clean along with using a degreaser on most of the rest of the engine bay. Anyone else experience this?
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:31 pm
Yup. What happens is, over time, the hose gets saturated with oil. Go to your favorite auto parts store and pick up a new length of hose, and voila... the problem will go away!
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:02 am
srf99 wrote:Yup. What happens is, over time, the hose gets saturated with oil. Go to your favorite auto parts store and pick up a new length of hose, and voila... the problem will go away!

Thanks! I was trying to figure out why it would happen just this year and now. I had not yet ruled out climate change, the Winter Olympics and drones.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am
Be sure to buy enough hose so you can loop it around somewhere...
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions