Newbie Question: Removing Fiberglass Seat

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:59 pm
Hi,

I am new to SRF and I am looking for a little bit of wisdom. I just received my Butler seat and I am wondering if there is some magic process to removing the fiberglass seat from the car? Every twist and turn I tried didn't seem to work. When replacing the fuel cell I tried to remove the fiberglass seat but, gave up after a while and worked around it. Now that I have my new seat I am curious if there is a trick to removing the seat without literally cutting it out of the car? I am convinced they built the car around the seat... :?

I am sure I am missing something but, haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks,
Steve

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 am
I had the same thing last year. You need to remove the steering wheel and upper half of steering column. You also need to remove the metal piece attached to the seat. Here is the complete response I got when I asked last year. It was enough to help me. Hopefully it helps.

"You would be surprised by watching someone struggle to get the seat out who has never done it before only to have an experienced person walk over and get it out in 20 seconds.

Remove center section. Remove upper steering column. Possibly loosen dash panel but not required. Possibly remove right roll bar pad but not always required. Remove aluminum seat extension which are usually either riveted or attached with nut inserts.

Now the fun part. Start by bringing the upper right shoulder portion of the seat above and past the roll bar. Roll the right side of the seat a little higher while squeezing the flat bolt area of the right side of the seat past the roll bar. Now just lift the seat out."
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:27 am
If you get the rotation right (see description above, though I was recalling that I pick up the left shoulder part first but don't quote me...), you can definitely do it without removing the steering wheel/shaft, and I have my steering wheel as close to me (and the seat) as possible. It's tight, but it's doable.
Denny

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:53 pm
Thank you both for the feedback. I did remove the sheet metal and rotated the seat with no success. Depending on how I rotated the seat the gear shift was in the way. Maybe I have the larger seat option....I'll try your suggestions. Cross your fingers!

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions