Fuel Smell

Technical and Repair Discussions

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:40 am
Does the SRF fuel system vent to the air when under pressure (e.g. when the temperature rises)?

New fuel cell installed this year. When I trailer the car, the trailer fills with gas odor. Does this necessarily indicate a leak?
Scott Ross

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:11 am
I had a new cell put in my car last fall and both I and several others seem to smell fuel. Have not seen any sign of a leak. Stumped.
Mark
Dinosaur Racing

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 am
All fuel cells will allow a small amount of fuel vapor to permeate through the cell material, so even brand new ones will have some odor. In addition, you can get small leaks around the oval gasket, your fuel fitting and vapor from the vent system.

One way to minimize the smell is to pump your cell out after each race weekend.

DaveP
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 am
I had to reeplace my fuel cell late last year and experienced the same problem with fuel odors in the garage. I jacked up th car and checked the fuel cell oval gasket bolts and found that I had to "re-torque" a few of the bolts. Smell gone.

PS: One side note, I always drain my leftover fuel nto the car after a race to avoid having to haul around half full jugs (in case of an accident on the way home and they go Molotov on me). I do notice that if the fuel cell is pretty full there will still be a slight smell.
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:08 am
At $9 a gallon for the 93 octane, no-ethanol fuel, I am taking the risk and hauling it home... :o

DaveP
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:17 am
At $9 per gallon, I would agree, that is pretty expensive stuff. I meant dumping any left over fuel into the race car tank - not the towing vehicle.
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:25 pm
Oops! Misunderstood your reply.

DaveP

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:04 pm
I replaced my cell last year and I have the same problem. A few things to consider are 1) check the fuel vent (not sure of the proper name - its the one you stick the tie wrap into when fueling) to ensure the flap is seating properly. Basically take it off the car reverse it and try to blow through it. If air goes through the flap its bent. Simply re-bend it back to a tight seal and re-install. 2) Assuming the smell is that bad and you are ambitious enough you can remove the filler plat and check the rubber diaphragm. Over time they will weaken and potentially not seal well allowing the vapors to travel up into the filler tube. 3) check the gas cap seal.

Despite doing all these things and a new cell I can still smell fuel in my garage if I leave any amount of gas in the cell.

Good luck!

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions