Alternator Bolt Broke

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:47 am
breton wrote:Easiest solution is to get the right 10.9 spec bolt from your local CSR (or call Enterprises and get the part #/dimension information). The 10.9 is more than good enough for the requirements. Make sure you're not over tightening the alternator as well. We're talking about a <$2.00 part...

There's no doubt that if you can get a genuine 10.9 spec or Grade 8 bolt, it'll work great. No worries.

The key word here is "genuine" as there's a lot of counterfeit crap out there. That's why you should buy from a reputable supplier -- like one who sells to construction or aerospace -- who simply cannot afford to sell that junk and has the paperwork to verify the provenance of their inventory. That's another reason why AN works reliably. There's much less faux-AN counterfeit garbage in the supply stream. Get your AN from Pegasus and you'll do fine.

I have seen erstwhile "Grade 8" bolts twist and break on numerous occasions. That should never happen with a true Grade 8 or 10.9.

Steve Kramer -- yeah, when I was a teenager I worked at Milestone Racing, the team that fielded Tony Adamowicz's Continental Championship-winning Formula 5000 Eagle. Carroll was my boss. He was quite a character and really knew his stuff. Before that, my first-ever job was being the second-ever employee hired by Dick Moroso.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:26 pm
Bob: that's cool. Having read all of Carroll's books I could tell he had a sense of humor.
Previous

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions