Front tie down.

Technical and Repair Discussions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:35 pm
What are your preferred methods for a front tie down when trailering an SRF? I just bought an enclosed trailer for mine and want a nice tidy way to do the front. Rear seems easy with all exposed frame work but would love to hear your ideas and solutions for the front end! Thanks.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:53 pm
i've used a strap around the diagonal reinforcement on the front (between the two verticals). But now use a strap around the front tires to e-track in the trailer floor.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:48 am
steve kramer wrote:i've used a strap around the diagonal reinforcement on the front (between the two verticals). But now use a strap around the front tires to e-track in the trailer floor.

The only downside to using over-the-tire straps is that if you have a tire going down, the strap will get loose. It's a good idea to check those. For that reason alone, I changed my setup to go around the frame.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:40 pm
Greg:
You are right, of course. Currently i tie all 4 this way, but for about 10 years i did the rears only that way...never had an issue. (that was in the 14' trailer, it was not possible to get a strap on one front unless you had a small child, I mean small, with skills!)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 pm
steve kramer wrote:i've used a strap around the diagonal reinforcement on the front (between the two verticals). But now use a strap around the front tires to e-track in the trailer floor.

I use the strap around the diagonal, on my 16ft. open trailer.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 am
I have a small 7x14 enclosed trailer and anchor my car using 4 axle straps as follows:
2 in the back looped near the triangulation point of the lower shock mounts. Straps then pull these tight to e-track latch rings. For the front I loop the axle straps at the roll bar and use wide ratchet straps crisscrossed that attach to d-rings that are waste high at the front of the trailer.

I haven't had an issue yet with any movement of the car using this method.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:28 pm
E-track mounted at the front wheels, tie-downs over the front tires. E-track allows me to shift the car around if I need to rebalance the trailer (e.g. adding in a motor or more tires.) Do have to be careful, though, to check the straps before moving if stowed or put away "hot" as the tires may have lost air or pressure during cool-down. If I'm going long distances, will check each time I fill-up (have had one strap loosen or come off on a long, bumpy haul.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:38 pm
Thanks for the replies!

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions