Hole in clutch fork

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:07 pm
Hi,
I had no pressure in my clutch line. I replaced the master and the slave. The slave's cylinder was corroded in place. I put the new slave on and began bleeding the line and cylinders. I was unsuccessful. Upon further examination the rod coming from the new slave went thru the hole in the fork by about .325 in and was stuck. The rod from the new cyl is exactly the same dia. Anyone run into this? The race is this weekend. Removing the trans to weld on the fork is a non starter. I am prepared to grind a sae bolt of a slightly larger diameter but the same length to match, as close as possible, to the original rod's shape as a stop gap. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:19 pm
If I understand correctly, the clutch release fork has a hole in it? Sounds like the overall condition of the release fork is suspect, but I would think you could weld enough to close up the hole as a stopgap.

I suspect if the condition of the fork is bad enough to rust through at the contact point, you'd be better off replacing the fork entirely. You might be able to get away with disconnecting just the transmission if you can move it far enough from the engine to wiggle in a replacement release fork

That's definitely a new one (sounds like the car was stored for some time in damp conditions?)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 pm
Bob, it is a hole from manufacturing. It is clear. Perhaps from an earlier part. Have you looked at yours?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:27 pm
Just a thought. I'm sitting at home and don't have a car to look at, but if you can get a mig welder in to the fork area I would tack weld in a washer for a quick fix. Good thick one. Smaller hole then the slave. This will get you buy if you can get a mig gun in there. Also i think I have seen slave rods that have like a little head to them. Skinny shaft to the end which is larger and rounded to pivit in the fork. So you can pull the rod off the slave and have something welded to the end as long as it is rounded to fit into the fork.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:08 pm
breton wrote:If I understand correctly, the clutch release fork has a hole in it? Sounds like the overall condition of the release fork is suspect, but I would think you could weld enough to close up the hole as a stopgap.

I suspect if the condition of the fork is bad enough to rust through at the contact point, you'd be better off replacing the fork entirely. You might be able to get away with disconnecting just the transmission if you can move it far enough from the engine to wiggle in a replacement release fork

That's definitely a new one (sounds like the car was stored for some time in damp conditions?)

There's definitely a hole...

I agree with Bob, if you have someone with skinny hands...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 pm
Nope, no corrosion. The hole was emlarged by the rod, probably original equiptment. All fixed - used a bolt ground down to the contours. It will at least get me thru the end of the year before teardown.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:32 pm
Sounds like maybe the strut on the slave is backwards....? The ball end of it should be sitting in the clutch fork.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions