Trailer Ramp Extension Help??

Technical and Repair Discussions
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 am
Hi All:

I purchased a 20' Haulmark last week and am close to acquiring an SRF (sort of backwards, I know). Assuming I need some type of rear ramp door extensions to correct for the angle of approach to get the SRF in the trailer ramp, what is everyone using and what length extension do I need?

We used the ubiquitous 8 foot 2X10s for years with the Radical on the old trailer, but want something a bit less ungainly, if possible. Been looking at the longest 6 foot Pit Pal trailer ramp extensions (link below) but am worried they may not be long enough to correct the angle. Help

http://www.pitpal.com/products/Aluminum ... 32-37.html

Thanks in advance.

Feff
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:22 am
My Haulmark came with a 4x8 sheet of plywood attached by a piano hinge lengthwise along the inside top of the trailer door. The underside is reinforced by two small pieces of angled aluminum bolted under where the car wheels roll up. It didn't seem like it would be sturdy enough, but it's worked great for 6 years now...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:55 am
dave wrote:My Haulmark came with a 4x8 sheet of plywood attached by a piano hinge lengthwise along the inside top of the trailer door. The underside is reinforced by two small pieces of angled aluminum bolted under where the car wheels roll up. It didn't seem like it would be sturdy enough, but it's worked great for 6 years now...

Dave:

Just to confirm, the "extension" length is the four(4) foot side not 8 feet? :?: Thanks in advance.

Feff
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:32 am
Never actually measured it, but long side goes along the end of the door (making a 4' extension). When we first got it, I thought it was too flimsy, but it has lasted all this time and we've even driven much bigger cars over it.
Will take a picture and measure it as soon as I go to work. (sleeping in today)...
Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:37 pm
if your new trailer is a beavertail, and you run over 3" ride height, you probably won't need an extension.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 pm
I've seen people use something like this:

They drop the trailer door down onto ramps. This reduces the angle of the door and then transitions to the angle of the ramps.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:53 pm
steve kramer wrote:if your new trailer is a beavertail, and you run over 3" ride height, you probably won't need an extension.

The extension we use is just right to get the car over the thickness of the door (4"?)...
Dave Harriman

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 pm
dave wrote:
steve kramer wrote:if your new trailer is a beavertail, and you run over 3" ride height, you probably won't need an extension.

The extension we use is just right to get the car over the thickness of the door (4"?)...

Mine has a fold down flap that is about 12" or so. I'll try to remember to take a pciture next week - we have a race to go to!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 pm
steve kramer wrote:Mine has a fold down flap that is about 12" or so. I'll try to remember to take a pciture next week - we have a race to go to!

Mine also has the 12" flip out piece and is a beaver tail. Is that 12" flap sufficient to get an SRF into a beaver tail trailer?

Mark
Last edited by Feffman on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:36 pm
Feffman wrote:
steve kramer wrote:Mine has a fold down flap that is about 12" or so. I'll try to remember to take a pciture next week - we have a race to go to!

Mine also has the 12" flip out piece and is a beaver tail. Is that sufficient 12" flap to get an SRF into a beaver tail trailer?

Mark

Add a little bit of lift at the hitch and you'll be fine with that. I have some 4 ft sections of 2x8s that help when the topogrpahy is against me too.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions